Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How long does a cutting from a cucumber take to grow roots

Posted by hot_roses9 none (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 16, 13 at 14:29

I decided to make some cuttings from a couple of cucumber plants. I have them put in moist soil and they are in the shade outside. I'm just doing this for fun, but how long does a cucumber cutting take to form roots. I don't want to mess with them but I'm anxious to see if these cuttings actually form roots.

Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How long does a cutting from a cucumber take to grow roots

I have never worked with cucumber cuttings but I have with melons. Both of these plants belong to the same genus, Cucumis, so I'm going to assume that they react very similarly. I took a cutting from one of my heirloom melons so that I could root it far from other melons to avoid cross-pollination. I thought it would be best to place the cutting in lightly fertilized water so that it could root. However, it initially only formed little stubs that looked like roots at the first node. It didn't get past this stage as long as I had it in the water. Soon after I moved it to a pot with potting mix, the roots took off growing.

I wish I could answer your question with certainty but I don't remember how many days I had it in the water. If I had to guess I would say about 10 days in the water and about 4 days to start growing once I put it in the pot with potting mix. My effort was ultimately futile because the poor thing developed powdery mildew.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here