Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cammunizm

Propagation in water

cammunizm
12 years ago

I am in Northeast Florida (Jacksonville) and am looking to expand my current plants by propagation in water. I've had no luck propagating in soil-based/seed-starting mixes but have had luck with herbs like basil and poterweed(blue) in water. It's easier for me.

Can anyone advise me of plants from this list that propagate easily in water?

Turnera

Big Bang Redshift Coreopsis (that's actually yellow)

Lavandula x intermedia (Provence)

Bristol Raspeberry

Rubus Natchez PPAF (Blackberry)

Asclepias tuberosa

Stokesia laevis

Jasminum sambic

Salvia azurea

Trachelospermum asiaticum

Tagetes lucida

Mentha suaveolens

I am guessing woody shrubs/trees would not propagate in glasses of water?

Thanks!

C-

Comments (12)

• cammunizm
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh and also: Lantana

• yiorges-z5il
    12 years ago

There have been a number of posts or questions on this subject use the search tool at the top of the page! :)

• ibartoo
    12 years ago

I have never had any of those root in water, especially the lantana, but they seem to root easily in soil.

• sjm1108us
    12 years ago

Part of the fun of gardening for me, is propagting plants, and not having a clue how to do it;). I always try water first, of course its the easiest. If that dosent work then I look around on the net or try other methods. Just try it out in water see what happens, you wont kill the plant, water the plant after cutting. tell me how it goes. I should here back from you in 2 to 4 weeks;) kidding.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

"I always try water first, of course its the easiest."

I usually try water only as a last resort, because it's generally the most labor-intensive method and the method with the lowest success rate.

• hummersteve
    12 years ago

Ive never had any luck with anything rooting in water, its a shot in the dark if it works for me.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

The Asclepias, Stokesia, Salvia, Lantana, and Tagetes should be easy from seeds.

Not familiar with all of your list, but for shrubs, layering is often the easiest way. This could work on the lantana but I would wait until spring if yours is the completely herbaceous kind like mine, although half a zone might be enough for the branches to stay alive where you are.

The mint and coreopsis roots can be divided.

If you want to have fun with water rooting, I recommend coleus and/or basil.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

Most of us don't WANT to root anything in water, Charlie. It's really and truly easier to root in a solid medium (of some sort).

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

Charlie, I realize that you are speaking to our original poster, and offering him/her the best advice for the situation. Maybe if someone can become successful with rooting plants in water, they might become more interested in learning to become successful with a rooting medium. I apologize for sounding like a snob....especially when you are being so helpful.

My curiosity is always piqued when someone says that they have no luck getting cuttings to root. I ALWAYS want to know what their procedures are so I can 'fix' it, lol.

• FLOWPOW2
    12 years ago

I have had several Wisteria cuttings sitting in water all this winter. They are growing white lumpies that remind me of barnacles, not really looking like roots at all. can anyone tell me what this is ? I have changed the water regularly.

• peggiewho
    12 years ago

Maybe a callus? Plants sometimes form a callus before they root. Non-specialized cells become specialized into roots. Look it up and see if it fits your cutting.

Sponsored