Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I divide Hollyhock roots now?

Posted by mccommas z5CT (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 11, 07 at 14:50

I have several Hollyhock questions.

1# I have this gorgeous pink HUGE Hollyhock. My neighbor would like seeds from it but I am thinking maybe I could give her a piece of root instead so it will definitely bloom for her next year.

I don't know how to do this. I have read that it should be done in December. Is this true? I don't mind harming the mother plant a little bit since she has already gone to seed. And you would think that it would be better for the plant to have its roots harvested now when it has some time to repair the injury with several growing months left in the season.

2# Also curiously this plant had all pink flowers except for one stalk which was definitely coming from the same plant. This much shorter stalk had yellow flowers. Have you all seen this before? Two different colors from the same plant? Funny because I thought this plant was going to be yellow because I thought the plant I stole (yes I am a seed stealer!) them from was yellow but they surprised me.

Perhaps the yellow stalk is merely another plant very close to the larger one?

3# I have a black hollyhock nearby. Can I assume that seeds from the pink (or yellow) plant will probably be the same color as the mother or do they come out like kittens all different colors? I know they could have been cross pollinated with the black one by the bees but just how likely is that exactly?

I don't have a problem with different colors. I just want to know what to expect.

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I divide Hollyhock roots now?

1) I would wait till Dec to divide your plant its 90F outside today. 2) it is probably a seporate plant (with yellow flowers) will be able to tell this fall if divide that plant. 3) the plants will cross polinate But not sure of genetics of flower color of this species. I would expect a varitie of flower collor's on NEW plants grown from the seed. the ORIGINAL plants will always be of the same color

o
RE: Can I divide Hollyhock roots now?

You can remove a division now if you want. Many plants might not make it right now, but hollyhocks are tough. The parent plant really shouldn't be affected at all by removing a small rooted division, and the division should be fine if well watered. Placing the new plant in light shade until established wouldn't hurt anything either.

You mentioned the root not having time to heal if the division was done in the winter. Roots continue to grow in winter. In many cases, root growth actually increases during late fall and winter. For most plants, divisions and transplants are best done during mid to late fall (your colder hardiness zone may change this some) or early spring. Some plants, like hollyhocks, can take it just about anytime with a little extra care.

o
I have bought a pack of two holly hawk roots in a store. Will the

I have bought a pair of two holly hawk roots from a home depot store. I have a place with rich soil in which to plant them. I was wondering since they were bought at a box store if I planted them this summer if they will actually bloom the first year being planted. I know plants started from seed may not bloom the first year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here