Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mccommas

Can I divide Hollyhock roots now?

mccommas
16 years ago

I have several Hollyhock questions.

1# I have this gorgeous pink HUGE Hollyhock. My neighbor would like seeds from it but I am thinking maybe I could give her a piece of root instead so it will definitely bloom for her next year.

I don't know how to do this. I have read that it should be done in December. Is this true? I don't mind harming the mother plant a little bit since she has already gone to seed. And you would think that it would be better for the plant to have its roots harvested now when it has some time to repair the injury with several growing months left in the season.

2# Also curiously this plant had all pink flowers except for one stalk which was definitely coming from the same plant. This much shorter stalk had yellow flowers. Have you all seen this before? Two different colors from the same plant? Funny because I thought this plant was going to be yellow because I thought the plant I stole (yes I am a seed stealer!) them from was yellow but they surprised me.

Perhaps the yellow stalk is merely another plant very close to the larger one?

3# I have a black hollyhock nearby. Can I assume that seeds from the pink (or yellow) plant will probably be the same color as the mother or do they come out like kittens all different colors? I know they could have been cross pollinated with the black one by the bees but just how likely is that exactly?

I don't have a problem with different colors. I just want to know what to expect.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (3)