Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Winter storage of plants

Posted by caseyj 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 28, 13 at 14:54

I have some small hydranga plants,5 or 6 leaves, that are doing very well. How do I store these plants over the winter months or should I just plant them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Winter storage of plants

I would go ahead and plant them and maybe consider covering them with a breathable cover for insulation. You could also keep them in an unheated garage. You do not want to take them inside a heated building.

o

Hydrangea are extremely hardy, though the garden Hortensia is less so ( Zone 5 would be the limit I think). They are one of the few flowering plants that will grow happily in both central Southern Canada and the tropics. My worry is that these plants are still very young. Wait until they are bigger. Keep them overwinter with only light frost then plant them deep early next summer. Good luck. Ian.

o

Planting woody plants "deep" is something almost universally advised against. I'm a little surprised to see someone recommend it here.

o

A plant with only 5 or 6 leaves has to be planted near the surface and will only produce minimal root growth between now and fall. If you leave it until next year you will be able to get the roots in deeper and increase their chances of survival. I didn't mean bury them! If you are at all worried about this you can apply a thick mulch of leaves around the crown as soon as severe frost threatens in the middle of next fall, this will reduce the effects of wind chill. Another useful tip I picked up in Canada was to plant in lily pots. You know, the tall thin ones. That way the roots will spread more downwards. You want deep roots. Good luck. Ian

o

I have over 1000 hedges in a propagation box with the white greenhouse plastic on the top for a cover, They are rooting in sand, I pulled 2 out on Sept 20th, 2013 and they both have a bush of roots. Should I leave them in the propagation box for the winter or plant them out in my garden now. Our first frost should be in 2 to 4 weeks. I would like them to survive. what would be the best thing to do so they would survive the winter? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Darrell

o

I have over 1000 hedges in a propagation box with the white greenhouse plastic on the top for a cover, They are rooting in sand, I pulled 2 out on Sept 20th, 2013 and they both have a bush of roots. Should I leave them in the propagation box for the winter or plant them out in my garden now. Our first frost should be in 2 to 4 weeks. I would like them to survive. what would be the best thing to do so they would survive the winter? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Darrell

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here