Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trail_mix

Wandering Jews and other Plants Propagated in Water

Trail_Mix
10 years ago

Hey, how's it going? I have been lurking on this forum for awhile now, and am active on several other forums. I finally reset my password here on gardeweb so that I can post!

For my first post, I would like to learn a little more about Wandering Jews, and Peperomia plants. See, I am big into aquariums, and I have seen people using those expanded clay pellets, or something along those lines, to grow Pothos vines out of their filters. Rather than placing the normal filter cartridges, they will put clippings of these vines, and as the roots develop, they will suck out nitrates like crazy. Basically, I am looking for some cool plants, besides Pothos and Philodendron vines, that will thrive in this environment. Any suggestions are welcome! Also, I am curious as to whether or not Watermelon Peperomia would work for this purpose. Anyone know? And whatever plant I choose, it doesn't necessarily have to be a vine, but I guess it does have to be something that can grow in a relatively small space.

I bought a Setcreasea purpurea awhile ago, and it was getting super leggy, so over time I would break off some pieces and try to re-root them in water. Anyway, right now I have several Setcreasea cuttings, some Heart Philodendrons, golden and white variegated pothos vines, a NOID plant, and a singular Tradescantia zebrine aka Zebrina pendula growing in water.

For some reason, the Setcreasea cuttings only seem to send out roots if there are two leaf-less nodes submerged, and the roots are thick and slow-growing. Whereas that 3" Tradescantia clipping I snagged rooted super quickly, sending out long, thin roots, which quickly developed a full, feathery appearance, (in part due to my addition of Mychorrizae, some carbohydrates and oxygen, along with some other products I have such as Azoos nitrogen fixing bacteria, Pihranna &Tarantula (brews with super high concentrations of beneficial fungi and bacteria), plus Compost Teas and such, since I'm friends with this girl who works at the local hydroponic store so I get a lot of free "samples" etc.).

I know the Setcreasea and Tradescantia are different species/cultivars, but I figured both being Wandering Jews, they would develop similarily. Guess I was wrong. Any way, if anybody knows why this is, or has advice on rooting Setcreasea in water, (or other plants for that matter, do Watermelon Peperomia work?), or any other cool plants (aside from Aluminum Plants) that can grow well hydroponically, in moderate humidity (I'll mist them twice daily at least) and indirect sunlight, please let me know!

I would love to grow something cooler than pothos and philodendron vines! Also, if the Wandering Jews won't do well hydroponically long-term (they will get all the water column dosing they need), please let me know! I don't want to put a plant in there that is just going to slowly die on me. If they will eventually need soil, then I will give it to them and find somwething else!

There are also several aquatic plants that I am considering growing in a similar manner, though I am also considering just putting those plants in riparium planters.
So anyway, sorry for such a long post. Any suggestions, comments, or anecdotes would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022