Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wherewerewe

Sedum Autumn Joy

wherewerewe
18 years ago

Hi all,

Is it possible to take stem cuttings from Sedum AJ, and dip them in rooting hormone and then a soil-less potting mix as you would most other perennials? I've heard about simply sticking a leaf in the ground but I'd rather speed up the process. I have three mature AJs and I'd like to have about 10 more. I guess I could divide the root clumps into 1/4s huh? I'd rather leave the 3 in place though. Thanks for your advice.

Comments (9)

• georgez5il
    18 years ago

The procedure is simple. take a cutting 2-4" with 1 leaf at tip. apply 0.1% rooting hormone. stick in well drained soil & mist taking 10-30 days to root.

• maryleek_AR
    18 years ago

I have been successful in rooting leaves from this plant, using a damp soiless mix. I've taken one rooted leaf and planted it in potting soil.

What happens now? I assume it will eventually send up new growth. About how long before I should expect to see some activity? :-)

TIA, Mary

• geoforce
    18 years ago

I just destroyed one accidently by stepping into the middle of it while weeding so took all the broken off stems and cut them into 4-6 inch pieces, dipped in hormone, and stuck into ordinary 'miracle gro' potting mix. Morning sun and no cover. Got roots coming out the holes in the pots in 2 weeks, new growth at every leaf node and did not loose a single piece. I now have 26 happy little plants of it.

George

• maryleek_AR
    18 years ago

George,

Thanks so much for sharing this information. Maybe this part of the summer is the best time for taking cuttings. I only have the one plant I purchased and planted this year so don't have much to work with. The leaves came from the two toppings I made after I planted the Sedum earlier this year. I also stuck the two tops and they are still green and putting out so I guess they have roots. I probably need to pot them up in potting soil, now. The leaves are still green but I didn't know if they would make roots. I pulled the one up and it did have quite a few roots, so I potted it. I just don't know what to expect from this rooted leaf now. :-) Maybe it doesn't put up new growth until next spring? Anyway, it's fun to watch and see what happens.

I really like the looks of the plant. It's shaped nicely, holds it's stems up well in our infrequent downpours. I'm anxious to see what the blooms look like. Buds are setting so maybe won't be too long, now.

Mary

• peaches20
    18 years ago

I've rooted quite a few sedums just by putting a cutting in a glass of water and putting it in a sunny location. They rooted rather quickly. No need for hormone treatments

Peaches

• maryleek_AR
    18 years ago

Peaches,

Have you had success rooting a single Sedum leaf in water; not a stalk or branch but just a leaf? My thanks.

Mary

• DanielleKerese
    18 years ago

Just to throw my 2 cents in here. I have rooted sedum autumn joy with little effort. My garden hose fell on top of one of mine and broke off a few pieces. I just took off a few leaves from the bottom, some cuttings I took all the leaves off and stuck them in dirt. In a couple of weeks they were rooted no problem. I have noticed that with most sedums you don't need a rooting hormone.

• paulinep
    18 years ago

I propagate sedum autumn joy in the spring, to keep it from getting too tall, just use my pinch n poke method, same as impatiens, begonias, coleus, plecthranthus, no rooting hormone needed! Makes hundreds of new plants so easily, I even stick them in pots along with my other pinched plants. This one is soooo easy, could proably even do it now, although all the flower heads have formed. Best in the spring.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinch n Poke

• farmergirl32
    17 years ago

I have Sedum Purple Emporer, new this year. It is beautiful! Would like to propagate it this fall and keep the new plants as houseplants to set outside next spring.
    I am a novice at this and do not keep other houseplants--prefer my outdoor flowers. Sounds like it is no problem to root cuttings in potting soil, but how about keeping them as houseplants. I do not have a sunny south window for them.