Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodenzoo

Hosta Dividing?

woodenzoo
18 years ago

I've read that the best time for my zone to divide hostas is the end of August.

I'm questioning this, as it seems like it would be better to wait until the foliage starts to die off and then dig up the rhizomes (or whatever they are called :), such as in the manner of cannas!).

Also keep in mind, that I would like to trade some of these on GW, so any what's, when's and/or how-to's you can give me, will benefit more people than just me!

I've never divided this type of plant and I guess I may be on the cautious side...

Thanks for any help and info!

Cathy

Comments (7)

• geoforce
    18 years ago

I've always preferred to divide mine in the spring, just before, or as the new points start to grow. May just be my hangup, but I don't like to divide plants in active leaf if I can help it. Have never tried dividing after foliage dies.

George

• Buxas
    18 years ago

Now is a good time to divide hostas. I divide them anytime the ground is not froze, but now is about the best. There is still a lot of time for new root growth before the ground gets too cold. You may see some decline in the leaf appearance this year. That would be normal. The key it to keep them moist. I am now doing a lot of dividing and potting for next years sales.

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the advice!
    I guess there is more than one way to do this.
    They are my Mom's plants and she is anxious to have them thinned out, as they are taking over the space they are in.
    :) I get what's left over! lol
    Thanks again!
    Cathy

• Carol_Ann
    18 years ago

Hostas are tough and can be divided almost any time if you can keep them watered after dividing. When I lived in IN and OH I had best luck in spring -- like already mentioned, divide them just before or as growth is starting; you'll get the least set-back of the plants that way -- but there's no reason not to do it now if it's the best time for you. They'll have time to work on new roots before the cold sets in for you. If you do decide to do it now, if they're flowering or start to flower after you divide, cut the blooms off so the plant can put it's energy into new roots instead of flowers. Don't let them get too dry (but not sopping wet all the time, either) and keep them out of direct sun and they should adjust to their new homes quickly!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    18 years ago

how about trying at the hosta forum.. and try the search function.. and find the other dozen ways to do such ... when to do such.. why to do such.. rates of success ... etc...

ken

• Johnwalczak_hotmail_com
    15 years ago

I usually divide mine in spring since the extra plants will either be donated to the WNY Hosta Society for sale or I will sell them myself.

Now can be a good time to divide them especially with cooler daytime and nighttime temperatures coming. I might even hold off until the beginning of Sept. Usually I like to get mine back into the ground with at least six weeks before the first frost to prevent frost heave.

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    15 years ago

Cathy, you'll never get a consensus on what the best time is to divide Hostas. Having said that, it makes most sense to divide when the roots are actively growing and that would be any time between when you see the 2nd flush of leaves in the spring and the onset of senescence in the fall.

The key with Hosta divisions is to make sure the roots stay hydrated, the crown isn't too deeply planted -that'll lead to crown rot- and you're best to keep them out of direct sunlight for 4-6 weeks. When taking early single eye/offsets of medium and large plants it is a good idea to lightly tie the petioles together and stake them until such time as there is evidence of new leaves developing. And with larger ones you can just gently tie all the petioles together with floral tape or some such thing.

I just did a division last weekend and may do some more this coming weekend, but I think I'm done for the year. Last weekend's division was to separate a sport I wanted to isolate and that sport has only been there for 4-5 weeks. I prefer to use the 5x5 pots since 8 of them neatly fit into a tray. Then I keep water in the tray and fill it up every 4-5 days or so, I typically let the tray sit dry for a day or so before I add more rainwater.

My personal preferred dividing time, if there is no pressing need to do it earlier, is from late May to late June depending on variety and growth pattern, and I prefer to do my Rossizing at that time as well. That's when root growth is strongest and the crown can store the most energy for next season. I would expect later divisions to come back somewhat smaller next year.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations