Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Micro Hoop House

Posted by jbest123 Zone 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 24, 07 at 17:11

I'm not working, its 92 Deg outside so I'm thinking about winter. Do you think a plastic storage tote would work for a micro hoop house? Its base is 32in X 17in, I painter 3 sides and the top white, leaving the side facing North unpainted so I could check on mouse or mole baits. John (Zone 5)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Micro Hoop House

for what crop?

with the fence right there... coulndt you strap on some 1 x 2 ....then make a square ... and hinge it.. and cover it with plastic .... and just make a lean to and have a lot more size and flexibility ????

ken

o

Hi Ken. This is for winter protection of newly rooted cuttings. It is painted to keep the sun from heating the soil in the spring. Most of the winter damage comes from the repeated freeze/thaw cycles that we get here in zone 5 in early spring. I plan to prepare multable units to cover the hole bed. I chose this method because they are very easy to place and they stack inside each other for storage. I plan to hinge a peice of lattic to the fence and suspend the front with chains to provide partial shade in the summer. John

o

i see you other post where it appears you using such inside a greenhouse ...

but i just have a sneaky feeling that they are too small for outdoors ... too hot.. too fast.. regardless of paint ... i have no experience .... just a gut feeling ...

where in zone 5 are you ... and what are you propagating???

in my zone 5 ... presuming they are zone rated plants ... the key to success in winter .. is ... GET IT FROZEN DORMANT>> KEEP IT FROZEN DORMANT ... too hot in the middle of winter .. and they are goners ...

just throwing the issues out there for you ... again .. i have no experience in this particular area ...

the link is to arrowhead alpines near Brighton MI .... they use nearing frames.. which was the idea behind my suggestion regarding the fence .... also try Google with the term NEARING FRAME for a few other links ...

good luck

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: nearing frames

o

Hello Ken, I live app. 30mi NNE of Pittsburgh and plan to propagate landscape plants and perinials. The containers I use for rooting cuttings are a good bit smaller than the totes. Three rooting chambers will fit in one tote. My lot is about 1/2 acre, so I must maximize the use of space. I think if we have an extended thaw in the middle of winter there will be problems no matter what size you use.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here