Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rooting before cutting.

Posted by squirmwurm none (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 28, 13 at 17:45

Sorry for the very silly question, but I just can't remember. What is the type of propagation called where you first apply rooting hormone to a branch in order for it to grow roots prior to taking a cutting?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rooting before cutting.

you are pprobably thinking of "air layering" but the technique involves more than jut applying a rooting hormone to a branch........

o

re: yiorges-z5il

Absolutely, I understand there is more to it. I was just giving the general idea. Gonna look it up, think you're right on the name. Thanks

o

• Posted by pippi21 Z7 Silver Spring, Md (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 9, 13 at 7:16

Here's my two cents! When you apply the cutting in rooting hormone, you still have to plant it into soil. I did a clematis by layering last year. It is small now and I've got it started on a trellis. Don't I have to cut it from the orginal plant? Do I do that just by shovel prunning it?

o

No, you do not 'shovel prune' it. You need first to ascertain that it has actually rooted. Since it is still attached to the parent there is no way of knowing if it is growing on its own roots or not yet. You need to poke about carefully where it is in the ground and see if it has roots. Only then do you cut it off its parents and dig it up carefully to transplant if you need to. But don't do it now. Wait for next spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here