Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Philodendron?????

Posted by dinajean upstate SC - Z7 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 22, 07 at 17:55

My Mom passed away last year and my sis had one plant left of my Moms, not doing fantastic. I think it is a philodendron. I took two leaf cuttings and put rooting hormone and stuck them in dirt. (That was July 14, this year)They have not died yet but they have not rooted either. One of the leaves is turning brown. Is there anything I can do to get these leaves going? It is very sentimental....any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Philodendron?????

I would think philodendron could be started by sticking a stem in water. Seems to me I've done that years ago. Or using the stem cutting method. I didn't think philodendrons were very hard to root.

o
RE: Philodendron?????

Did you stick a stem with a "node", a joint looking feature of the stem, into the dirt? A leaf would be almost impossible to root outside a university laboratory unless you have a bit of stem with a node.

Several images at the link below. The positions may change but those about four through nine look pretty good at this time.

Roots in water never seem to me to be as healthy as roots in some solid. When I don't know for sure what I am expecting I get a clear plastic cup, add potting soil and water, and slip the cutting down the side so I can see when root formation begins. I sometimes set the cup within another solid cup so the root formation area will be dark.

Here is a link that might be useful: node images

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here