Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hamid954

Pothos cutting not rooting help (pic included)

Hamid954
10 years ago

I cut this clipping of this plant and placed it in the water for two weeks and it's nodes aren't growing at all. I'm afraid if I keep It longer in the water it might start rotting? I always change its water. Should I put the cutting in dirt instead? Can anyone give me some advice please on propagating this plant. I'm not 100% sure if this cutting is pothos or philodendron. Also, I circled the nodes in the picture.

Comments (5)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

It's Pothos (Epipremnum.) Laying it in a bowl like that is a little unconventional. Usually the leaves are kept out of the water completely. I might remove the lone mid-stem leaf and put the whole stem in something like a wine bottle. Whatever you decide, when you see which node is going to take root first, then you can put it in a pot horizontally, curled like that. Pinning it to the soil surface instead of actually burying would increase the chances of the other nodes taking root, resulting in more new tips. Doesn't look at all like it's going to rot to me, just needs more time.

• gconn
    10 years ago

I'm doing the same thing except mine is in a mason jar. Been two weeks also and no signs of rooting. Thanks for the advice purpleinopp. I know it was aimed at Hamid954 but it will help me as well.

• sherylgallant
    10 years ago

As long as it still has a green leaf and the stem is not slimyrotten, it will still root. It looks to me like its going to root. I think they root faster if you can keep the water from getting too cold. I have had them take longer than a month to root.

• sherylgallant
    10 years ago

As long as it still has a green leaf and the stem is not slimyrotten, it will still root. It looks to me like its going to root. I think they root faster if you can keep the water from getting too cold. I have had them take longer than a month to root.

• chickencoupe
    10 years ago

When a cutting is dead a hairy film begins to develop around the portion of the cutting under water as it slowly decays/dies.

Otherwise, it just needs more time.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz