Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
englishivyguerilla

How to encourage english ivy to grow in neighbors yard?

englishivyguerilla
10 years ago

Hello,

I was wondering what the best way to surreptitiously route my english ivy to grow through/under my fence, to my neighbors yard without them knowing about it?

Comments (16)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Oh my... sitting down to watch the fireworks show... surprised you didn't ask on the natives forum.

• david52 Zone 6
    10 years ago

I don't think it would be that hard. Every opening, every crack in or under the fence, push the vines, using a soft, rounded spatula so as not to injure the plant. When the neighbors aren't there (have a neighborhood kid serve as a lookout = "Billy? When you see the Wilson's leave, give me a ring on this burner phone - here's 5 bucks") then sneak over - remembering to wear garbage bags on your shoes so as to not leave prints - and pull the vine tendrils through.

Once you've got a few hundred lbs of vine on their side, then its time to break out the fertilizer and watering hose.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

Surely this is some kind of joke! Otherwise, it's the height of unethical gardening.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    10 years ago

We have someone over on the Florida Gardening forum who is stealing amaryllis bulbs from the front yard of her 90-something neighbor (and bragging about it). She reports taking one per night and thinks she is "rescuing" the bulbs. She posted about it in February or March but I think I have thought about it every single day since reading it, it bothers me so much. Who does that?! Who does this?! Who has so much time to be devious? Don't people have enough to do without ruining someone else's day? What ever happened to the Golden Rule?

Of course, this post is most likely a troll - the user registered on the same date as the post and has no other posting history. In the case of the Florida Gardening post, that sadly is not a troll - the user is a regular on the Florida Gardening forum.

This post was edited by love_the_yard on Tue, Aug 6, 13 at 23:01

• david52 Zone 6
    10 years ago

I took it as a joke.

I do have a neighbor who felt that an increase of bees in the neighborhood would benefit his large vegetable garden and fruit trees, so he bought 20 lbs of clover seed and spread it around rather freely in all his neighbors yards, at 2:00 am, in an impressive variation of guerrilla gardening. He's 83 years old.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    10 years ago

I am older than that, and can tell you stupidity can be found at any age. Al

• englishivyguerilla
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's a political statement and I'm not a troll.

• david52 Zone 6
    10 years ago

Is this in anyway related to those groups who wish to get rid of the plant? Some kinda payback?

An example at the link,

Here is a link that might be useful: ivyoutofrichmond.org

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

"It's a political statement and I'm not a troll."

Per GardenWeb's TOS, political statements are not to be posted in this type of forum. And, IMO posting this type of "political statement" here is exactly what would make a troll a troll!

10 years ago

I pretty much agree with what Brandon said, but what's going on with the neighbor? Maybe you just need other ideas.

• englishivyguerilla
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I love the plant and find it beautiful. I don't think my neighbor shares my opinion.

• englishivyguerilla
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think it's a success!

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

Hopefully, your neighbor has some herbicide on hand. If not, maybe they'll get lucky with some rock-salt filled shotgun shells sometime when you're out vandalizing their yard.

This post was edited by brandon7 on Tue, Nov 26, 13 at 21:30

• waynealabama
    10 years ago

What kind of political statement would this be? If ivy was not an invasive species, it might be a way to get a nasty barren weed filled area of a neighbors yard looking better.

10 years ago

Assuming the sight of the "I know there's snakes in there" patch of ivy looks pleasing to the viewer. Just looks like a neglected mess to me.

• Charlie
    10 years ago

I do not recommend planting ivy any where. It is an invasive species and kills trees. Ones it is in a woods it is hard to get rid of.