Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Propagating Trumpet vines

Posted by CatnipRoses z5 OH (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 24, 05 at 20:07

How do you do it? Does anybody know? I have propagated AV's with no problem, it's looking great.I'll take pics soon.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Propagating Trumpet vines

Trumpet vine (Campsis ) propagates very easily by simple layering, or air layering. Stake a vine down on the ground, and heap a bit of dirt over it. Keep it moist, and it wil generally be rooted in a few months.

George

o

Do I just cut a piece off of the main plant? How much of it do I cut?It's my neighbors plant.Can I start it now, or do I wait till spring? Sorry for all the questions.

Catnip

o

Be warned about planting trumpet vine. Sure they look nice and attract humming birds, but I have a mature one that came with the house and pulling those darn shoots out has become a bi-weekly chore. They are everywhere.

o

That's ok, I have a very long split rail fence I want to cover.Thanks for all the info.

o

CatnipRoses,
I took cuttings about 2 weeks ago from a friends.I put them in pots w/composted pine bark and a soda bottle on top.Looked today and they are putting out new growth already.I root almost every thing this way now since learning this from Millie and I am having a very high % rate of success.I even left the soda bottles on a few roses I thought were lost and looked yesterday and they are also putting out new growth.So,I say,take cuttings now.
Annette in Ga

o

I saw a vine with seed pods on it like green beans. Can a new vine be grown from the seeds?

o

how many thousand vines do u want?mine vines self sow seeds like crazy...wait till the pods are ready to burst ,get the seeds and winter sow them ,,,very easy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here