Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
crape myrtles

Posted by feajja1 se usa (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 15, 09 at 20:31

i have a C/M in the front facing sun all day, and the leaves begin turning yellow and falling every year at this time, why?
need help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: crape myrtles

most likly caause is drought (give it more water) fertilization may be a secondary cause....

o

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 17, 09 at 16:45

Do you have it properly mulched? That could go a long way towards helping the moisture issue and, in the long run, any fertility problems. Remember to mulch wide, not deep, and don't place any mulch up against the trunk(s).

o

are you saying not enough fertlizer, or to much, clarify please

o

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 18, 09 at 9:14

Could be either. Have you added fertilizer? Have you had your soil tested? The only way to know for sure is with a soil test. Your local extension agent should be familiar with local soils and might be able to give you general guidance concerning local soil fertility.

Fertility wouldn't be on the top of my list of suspects. Unless you have a reason to think your soil is very poor and deficient in some nutrient, I'd pursue other possibilities. Adding a little compost certainly wouldn't hurt, but avoid using fertilizer unless it's use is determined to be needed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here