Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Attempting to propagate a Dracaena Marginata from a tip cutting

Posted by Mrs82397 none (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 12, 13 at 20:59

Hi, I'm looking for any help anyone can give. I'm attempting to propagate a Dracaena Marginata from a tip cutting from a plant that the cane or stem was rotted. I have it in Miracle Grow potting mix and the soil is fairly moist. I'm afraid it's going to rot off as another tip cutting I had in the same pot did. I now have the very top of that tip cutting and the leaves in a vase of water trying to root it that way. I also have the very top of another tip cutting in a 3 inch pot and then in a plastic bag out of direct sunlight trying to see if it will root. The cutting in the picture is in a well lit location but I think out of direct sunlight. About half of it is in the soil and about half of it is out. As I said before the soil is fairly moist. I was wondering about taking it out of the soil for some time, letting it dry some and putting it back in the soil? Any help on getting any of these little guys to grow would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Attempting to propagate a Dracaena Marginata from a tip cutti

Marginata is relatively easy to grow but does not like to stay wet. It only likes a little water. I believe overly wet soil may be your problem. Normally, you can just stick pieces of a lanky stalk into soil and they will all root and bud into new plants.

Take the cutting out of the wet soil and put it in dry soil. The cutting is probably water-logged. Do not water it. Because it has no roots, you will see it wilt, lose some of its leaves, then begin to come back to life. I hope that will be the case with this remaining piece of your beloved plant.

I happen to have some Marginata (dark green w/red edge variety) that I pruned a month ago and set aside. My plant had 7 stalks in the pot and got lanky, with lots of foliage just at the top. I wanted to balance it out with foliage at the bottom, so I pulled 3 plants out and cut them into 3 pieces each (top, bare center, bare rooted). I placed the tops and the bare center twigs into soil. They have all come back to life and budded.

I still have the 4 rooted pieces that I pulled out of the soil. They have not yet budded, but I checked them and they are still alive - there's green under the bark. I had them clumped together in a small pot with minimum soil but have been watering them. I think that's why they haven't done anything, so I just added a little soil and cut off their callosed tops. I'm certain they will bud now.

If you'd like any of these, I'd be happy to send them to you. I really don't need them. Once they grow, you can cut them down and stick them in the soil at different heights for a fuller plant. The entire stem can root. You just have to make sure you keep track which side is up and which side goes into the soil. I place them right in the soil as I cut so they don't go in upside down. They won't root that way.

Let me know if you're interested.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here