Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Choosing Grafting Understock

Posted by dahlia_guy Zone 8 Oregon (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 19, 07 at 21:06

Where can I find out what types of understock are compatible with which scion wood? What understock do you use if you want to graft a Hydrangea paniculata on a standard? What about Syringa meyeri on a standard? These are just a few of the many examples I am looking for answers to. I have heard of some strange combinations that I would never think of, like grafting Chamaecyparis pisifera on Thuja occidentalis. Is there an "understock" book that tells all of this info? Many thanks!

Travis

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Choosing Grafting Understock

Travis,

Go to the California Gardening Forum and page down in the list to find a thread I started called "Graft and Corruption". There you will become aquainted with a fellow named Joe Real, who has done a lot of grafting of fruit trees and is very knowledgeable.

You may in fact find your answers in that thread and if not, perhaps Joe can help you out. He is more involved with fruit trees however and not hydrangeas.

Note that the thread reveals that grafts do not typically hold across plant family lines, if at all or rarely so.

Good Luck

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here