Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canren13

zz plant loosing leaves and turning yellow

canren13
10 years ago

Hi, my zz plant is growing well but recently the leaves have started to turn yellow and fall off and on a couple of stems the whole stem is turning yellow and strivelling up. I know most people say this is due to over watering but I really don't think is the case because I usually only water every 3 weeks or so. Thinking maybe I need to repot. Any advise?

Thanks.

Comment (1)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Welcome to Gardenweb! There's a bulb at the crown, needs room to expand and grow. Is it smushed against the sides of the pot, and/or smushing the roots? Without knowing how much light, if inside or outside, pot size in relation to plant size, it's hard to know if 3 weeks sounds good or not. Would you like to add a pic, say a bit more about it? You might want to ask on the house plant forum, and/or look at some of the discussions there about them. If you would like to have multiple plants (so asking here,) that would be easy if there are multiple bulbs in the pot, just separate them. If there's just one, it needs room (and apparently more time) to make babies. Maybe more light, more/less water, hard to say from so little info.

This plant was pushing out lumps in the side of its' plastic pot. There were actually 5 bulbs in this tiny 4" pot. No wonder they needed more space.