Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
preppystud

can i propagate sunchoke by its branches?

preppystud
11 years ago

i have one that is growing really big now, it has all the branches coming out the main stem.

i am just wondering if i can cut those branches, and propagate them that way?

Comments (3)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

heres how you do it..

you find the latin name.. instead of some obscure tertiary name for a Jerusalem artichoke [secondary name] ....

and then you go to google.. and add 'propagation of' .. in front of the latin .... and you end up at the link ...

when i tried simply your title.. i see your post here.. and one in the rose forum ... whats that all about ...

i understand you are looking for one with experience.. but after 4 days.. it appears there isnt anyone here.. at least who knows it by a third level common name .. there is a reason for using latin names.. and that is so peeps can understand what plant you are referring too ... so as to avoid common or regional names... in other words.. had your title referred to the latin name.. you might get more and more precise answers ...

good luck.. and have fun.. i dont have time to read the links and answer your specific question ...

ken

ps: and you watch.. after 4 days of no answer.. now that i answered.. someone is going to be curious.. and come in with an answer.. that never fails to mystify me.. lol ...

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

Ken - I stayed out of this because I knew of no such method for Helianthus tuberosus. I've never heard of doing it this way. When I saw a follow up I thought maybe someone knew the answer and i was lured in to check.

Preppyjock - The tubers spread so wildly there is little need to look for more complicated methods. But why don't you try it? I found the link by googling Jerusalem artichoke propagation. It seems you can do basal cuttings - but I can't see the point.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jerusalem artichokes.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

see!!! ... lol ...

in other words.. there are easier ways ... ken

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio