Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can i propagate sunchoke by its branches?

Posted by preppyjock (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 18, 12 at 22:19

i have one that is growing really big now, it has all the branches coming out the main stem.

i am just wondering if i can cut those branches, and propagate them that way?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can i propagate sunchoke by its branches?

heres how you do it..

you find the latin name.. instead of some obscure tertiary name for a Jerusalem artichoke [secondary name] ....

and then you go to google.. and add 'propagation of' .. in front of the latin .... and you end up at the link ...

when i tried simply your title.. i see your post here.. and one in the rose forum ... whats that all about ...

i understand you are looking for one with experience.. but after 4 days.. it appears there isnt anyone here.. at least who knows it by a third level common name .. there is a reason for using latin names.. and that is so peeps can understand what plant you are referring too ... so as to avoid common or regional names... in other words.. had your title referred to the latin name.. you might get more and more precise answers ...

good luck.. and have fun.. i dont have time to read the links and answer your specific question ...

ken

ps: and you watch.. after 4 days of no answer.. now that i answered.. someone is going to be curious.. and come in with an answer.. that never fails to mystify me.. lol ...

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Ken - I stayed out of this because I knew of no such method for Helianthus tuberosus. I've never heard of doing it this way. When I saw a follow up I thought maybe someone knew the answer and i was lured in to check.

Preppyjock - The tubers spread so wildly there is little need to look for more complicated methods. But why don't you try it? I found the link by googling Jerusalem artichoke propagation. It seems you can do basal cuttings - but I can't see the point.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jerusalem artichokes.

o

see!!! ... lol ...

in other words.. there are easier ways ... ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here