Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bradybbb

Propagating Cuttings with Pond Fogger/Mister

Bradybb WA-Zone8
11 years ago

I saw a video on Youtube about a guy using an inexpensive pond mister and timers to grow Blueberry cuttings.So I decided to try it.

I attempted to start some last year with only small success using domed growing trays.I think the key is to have the leaves almost constantly covered in a film of water,something I couldn't do with the other method.

Most of my cuttings are Blueberries,with a few Wisteria and Haskap.The timer only has 1/2 hour increments.I have it shut off at night and a couple times during the day to preserve the fogger's disc.It seems to be doing a fair job so far.The cuttings were taken a couple days ago. Brady

{{gwi:1177219}}

{{gwi:1169031}}

{{gwi:1177222}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagation of Blueberry Cuttings Using Fog

Comments (14)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

I think it's a great idea! My only comment is that the propagation flat is too crowded. I can't tell if there are too many packed in there, or if there is too much foliage left on each stem.

Air circulation is important.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks rhizo,I look into thinning and cutting some leaves. Brady

11 years ago

You don't leave that dark cover on all the time, do you? If so, you might consider using something that allows some sunlight through.

I'm going to have to remember your idea.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was thinking about that also.There is some light that gets through the sides of the container.I'll probably look for a piece of acrylic or something similar or make a framed top out of some 6mil greenhouse remnant. Brady

11 years ago

Great! Your cuttings need a lot more light than what will come through the sides. They still have to photosynthesize in order to create the energy they need to make new roots.

The leaves are the factories....sunlight is the fuel that keeps those factories in business. No sunlight and the factories will shut down.

11 years ago

Great! Your cuttings need a lot more light than what will come through the sides. They still have to photosynthesize in order to create the energy they need to make new roots.

The leaves are the factories....sunlight is the fuel that keeps those factories in business. No sunlight and the factories will shut down.

• luke_oh
    11 years ago

Brady, Check out the cloning boxes that uses fog or misting of the roots of the cuttings. Most info is from the marajuana growers, but can be used on any soft wood cuttings.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    Original Author
    11 years ago

luke oh,that sounds interesting.Is there a separate forum about it?Is it like Aeroponics? Thanks,Brady

• luke_oh
    11 years ago

Brady. Lots on YOUTUBE, and you can get an idea on design by looking on Ebay. I made one last winter, but havn't had time to use it. Yes, I guess it is a type of aeroponics. Pretty cool. luke

• carino2010
    11 years ago

Wow, thank you for sharing. I didn't know there was such a pond mister. Where did you purchase it?

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    Original Author
    11 years ago

On Ebay,I think from a seller on the East coast.Fairly inexpensive,less than ten dollars,compared to local places that want at least forty.I'd like to have two of them going,because when it gets hot,the leaves can still dry out somewhat. Brady

• carino2010
    11 years ago

I saw them at ebay and the ones for about 10 dollars don't include the transformer (guess that is the one that plugs into an outlet) Nevertheless, I certainly will purchase one from the box stores and try this method.

Again, thank you for sharing.

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay,here is the URL of where it was purchased for under nine dollars and free shipping.Just plugs in and works. Brady

Here is a link that might be useful: Ebay Pond Fogger/Mister

• carino2010
    11 years ago

Thank you for providing the information Bradybb. I just ordered it from Ebay. Can't wait to try it out. Your feedback and kindness is appreciated.