Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grape vine has leaves, now what?

Posted by BegoniaRob 8B/9A (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 18, 12 at 23:28

I think I have successfully propagated a concord grape cutting because it has leaves. The cutting is in a pot and needs more room for growth. I'd like to transplant to a larger container--how many leaves should there be to transplant successfully?

What is the planting depth needed?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grape vine has leaves, now what?

Unfortunately the amount of foliage on a cutting, is not a dependable measure of the amount of roots. If it has been two months or more since the cutting was stuck and it is growing without mist or tenting, you should be safe to pot up the size of pot. Al

o

Give the cutting a gentle tug if great resistance then roots have formed.... planting depth should be the same as it is in the rooting soil mixture.....

o

Knowing how much is a "gentle tug" will require some experience. As you gain this "experience" by trial and error you will pull a few that are not rooted. When this happens, you can just put the cutting back, and give it more time, you have not in most cases done any harm. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here