Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scotlfs

Mulberry truncheons for hedge rows

scotlfs
12 years ago

So I have done some Internet research and read some PDFs for afgani agricultural, a 1908 book written by south African dept of agriculture and a couple miscellaneous sources of info including some older threads from this website as well. Nothing has a lot of information about truncheons and each source varies in some of the details. So...

Does anyone here have experience propagating mulberries or other trees by truncheons? For those who don't know what a truncheon is, it is a long thick cutting, between a few inches in diameter to 12 inches. With lengths of 1 ft to 3 ft or longer. Usually the truncheon is denuded of foliage and branches. Basically is a freshly cut log tossed in the ground and kept wet until it sprouts.

I have started doing this with mulberries, but experimenting with different thickness, lengths and and levels of foliage. First thing I noticed is thicker and more bare truncheons do best, but I want to hear what others have experienced because I have to do about 1500 of these to grow my hedge and want to have the greatest success rate possible.

Comments (3)