Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mulberry truncheons for hedge rows

Posted by scotlfs 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 2, 11 at 23:42

So I have done some Internet research and read some PDFs for afgani agricultural, a 1908 book written by south African dept of agriculture and a couple miscellaneous sources of info including some older threads from this website as well. Nothing has a lot of information about truncheons and each source varies in some of the details. So...

Does anyone here have experience propagating mulberries or other trees by truncheons? For those who don't know what a truncheon is, it is a long thick cutting, between a few inches in diameter to 12 inches. With lengths of 1 ft to 3 ft or longer. Usually the truncheon is denuded of foliage and branches. Basically is a freshly cut log tossed in the ground and kept wet until it sprouts.

I have started doing this with mulberries, but experimenting with different thickness, lengths and and levels of foliage. First thing I noticed is thicker and more bare truncheons do best, but I want to hear what others have experienced because I have to do about 1500 of these to grow my hedge and want to have the greatest success rate possible.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mulberry truncheons for hedge rows

Scotlfs,

I found your post very interesting and had hoped that you'd get some responses. Since no one seemed to have any info here, may I suggest that you try in the Trees Forum. I don't know if you will get any response there either, but I'd be interested in reading it, if you did. There are a couple of regulars there that I suspect might have something to add.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trees Forum

o

Hi Scotlfs,

I live in Solebury PA. I want to propagate a mulberry tree by truncheons. I was looking for info about the timing and how and I saw your post. Would you share your experience with me? Is August the right time or I should wait for the fall?

Thanks.

Suzan

o

i have a 40 foot tree i would like to get rid of ..

you can have it ....

if you happen to be near adrian MI????

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here