Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How long should roots be?

Posted by galo 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 2, 10 at 7:07

I'm new to propagation and am wondering how long should roots be before transferring?

Also, one crepe Myrtle has wonderful roots, but no new growth...should I wait to transfer?

Thanks,
Laura

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How long should roots be?

The creepe myrtle should be transplanted now the plant is most likley going dormant & will take off next spring.
Once roots have formed the plant is able to take up water & nutrients & go on its own so length is not important... It should be noted that the larger the root mass is the more roots that will be damanaged in removing from rooting medium & transplanting.

o
RE: How long should roots be?

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 3, 10 at 19:56

"The creepe (sic) myrtle should be transplanted now the plant is most likley going dormant & will take off next spring."

I disagree. My crApe myrtles here in zone 6 aren't even close to going dormant. Wait at least a month for better results. In zone 7, you can safely transplant anytime the ground is not frozen between leaf drop and early spring.

"Once roots have formed the plant is able to take up water & nutrients & go on its own so length is not important..."

I disagree again. The cuttings should have sufficient root structure to supply enough water and nutrients to the cutting. If roots are just beginning to form, transplanting too soon can result in a dead plant due to transplant shock and the cutting's inability to get enough water and nutrients to overcome the transplant shock and grow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here