Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bernadette_gourder

Cuttings

bernadette_gourder
13 years ago

Hi!

I have my cold frame all cleaned out and want to experiment with filling it with cuttings to overwinter. The cold frame is not heated, but it is near running water (hot water outtake) so I am hoping this will help keep the ground thawed in our cold zone 5.

My question is this: What are some of your favorite plants to propagate with cuttings? (The plants, of course, have to be able to survive in zone 5.) I am not just going to rely on propagating plants I am already growing, but would like to gather cuttings from all over (from people on this forum, friends, neighbors, etc.) But would like to know where to start and what plants/shrubs you think will do well.

Bernadette

Comments (7)

• yiorges-z5il
    13 years ago

1)LOOK FOR EVERGREENS AS YEW, HOLLY, JUNIPER ETC
    2)THERE ARE SOME PLANT PROPAGATED BY HARDWOOD CUTTING I WOULD CONSIDER GRAPES BUT THERE ARE MANY OTHERS
    3) THERE ALSO PLANTS PROPAGATED BY ROOT CUTTINGS BE SURE TO INCLUDE SASAFRAS BUT AGAIN THERE ARE MANY OTHERS.
    4)ITS EASER TO SAY IF ITS A GOOD IDEA OR NOT IF YOU ASK ABOUT PLANTS ..YOU.. WISH TO GROW

• bernadette_gourder
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'd like to try my hand at rose cuttings. I posted about this in the Rose forum to see how it is done in a cold frame.

I am interested in cuttings of plants that will root in a cold frame overwinter or fussy seeds that need stratification such as primula, pieris, lilies, irises, franklinia, ajuga, calycanthus, rhododendron, helleborus, peonies, and so on. I think I know what I am looking for in the way of seed (any more ideas would be great!), but I am at a bit of a loss about cuttings. I am thinking of evergreen plants such as Juniper, yew, rhododendron, azalea, laurel, pieris, and others that I haven't heard of. I am trying to figure out what flowering/pretty foliage shrubs, vines, trees will root well in a cold frame with the cutting method.

My garden is partly shady, some spots are mostly shady, and then some other spots get hot afternoon sun. I am looking for plants that will do well for these conditions, but I am also interested in just growing plants for trade or my local nursery. I don't necessarily need a spot in my garden for them.

I want to experiment mostly and have some fun and learn stuff!

Bernadette

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    13 years ago

Is it possible to add a heating pad to bottom heat your cuttings? Most cuttings will benefit. For the woody plants and trees I have found " The Reference Manual of Woody Plant Propagation" by Michael Dirr and Charles Heuser to be a great help. I start lots of dormant cuttings by burying them in damp compost over the winter. Al

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    13 years ago

"[s]tart lots of dormant cuttings by burying them in damp compost over the winter."

My college textbook suggested burying them upside down in a damp medium over the winter. The professor said this was the way early settlers moved grapes over great distances and many months. Nobody talks of this anymore. Perhaps it was all folklore.

• oregonwoodsmoke
    13 years ago

Grapes are really easy to root and there are several really tasty grapes that will grow in zone 5. They like some hot summer sun, so your sunny area sounds about right.

Blueberries can be started from cuttings.

Hardy hibiscus will grow in zone 5 and it will start from cuttings, as will honeysuckle.

Willow trees are very easy, but big trees, so how many willows could you use?

There are roses for zone 5. I've never been able to get them to root, but other people don't seem to have any trouble with them.

Rosa Rugosa starts from cuttings.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    13 years ago

I just lay my dormant cuttings horizontal in damp mix, in a bundle keeping like ends together. When I think roots may have grown I uncover and take a look. Those with roots at least an inch long I pot up, the rest are covered again. Al

• peggiewho
    13 years ago

Al, I would like to try this on Coral Bark Japanese maples. A friend likes little sticks to bonsai. How deep do you bury them? I am guessing pencil size would be smallest that will work? Do you put them buried in a shady spot or a sunny spot? What is expected wait time? pw

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County