Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
willowdale_gw

Help dividing shrub cluster - pomegranate filbert box

willowdale
12 years ago

A few years ago I stuck some small cuttings in a 4' bed for safekeeping and neglected them. This summer I drip irrigated them, and now I have lovely healthy shrubs growing too close together. I'd like to divide them and relocate them so they all survive (if possible). I have:

Three boxwood 6-8" high) spaced 4" apart in circle,

Spaced 10" from a:

Filbert (2' high), spaced 10" from a:

Pomegranate (russian), 3' with woody branches up to 1/2: diameter, spaced 10" from a:

Filbert (2' high), spaced 10" from:

Four more boxwood spaced 4" apart in a circle

I really want the pomegranate to survive, but it's too close to the house and must be moved out by several feet.

I'd like to divide the box and transplant along a walk.

If something has to die the filberts would be ok to sacrifice (for example if I need to let the pomegranate have their root mass to survive).

1. How should I separate the filberts from the pomegranate to do least harm to the pomegranate? Should I slice straight down with a shovel between them, or use two spading forks to try to pull the roots apart, or just cut the filbers off at ground level and transplant the pomegranate with a 24" rootball for best survival?

2. What to do about these clustered box. Should I dig them up in a ball of soil with a shovel, and then pull them apart by hand?

3. When should I do this? It's just starting to get cool here; nothing's dormant yet.

I would really appreciate any ideas you guys have. Transplanting the pomegranate safely is probably my first concern, and second is getting those boxwood separated and moved (Or should I leave them as two clumps and transplant them that way? Would they survive that way?)

I'd appreciate any suggestions you guys have on this!

Comments (4)

Sponsored