Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wisteria

Posted by aceshobby91 Northern VA. Zone-7 (nokswimmer@gmail.com) on
Sun, Sep 9, 07 at 9:04

i want to reproduce wisteria. I've heard that if sprouted from seed that it can take up to 5 years to flower? Does it root easily? if so. Will it flower sooner than 5 years? Any information about making cutting/sprouting would be appreciated.

~Nathaniel

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wisteria

I think you can propagate Wisteria from stem cuttings and they should flower in two or three years. A rooting hormone will help in getting it to root better, although i have never actually done it myself. Good Luck!
Sarah

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 11, 07 at 10:44

Nathaniel, wisteria from seed takes about three times 5 years to bloom (often 12 - 15 years) - seed grown vines are normally just useful for grafting stock.

You can take softwood cuttings in Spring (side shoots with close nodes), they root well from hardwood cuttings and from layering. Root cuttings (pieces of root dug up and placed horizontally in a growing medium) will usually sprout if taken in late winter and placed over bottom heat.

o

Wisteria, is so invasive, it surely will be very easy for you to propagate.

Keep in mind, though, that if you do not want your entire yard invaded with wisteria roots and new vines growing from them, it will be best to plant them in contained areas which can prevent the roots from spreading beyond the planting bed.

o

You are so right,Katrina. What I do is keep an eye on her. I prune the vines close to the ground so they will not root..
Mine blooms allot in Spring then Summer and autumn I get some blooms. I love mine.Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Felix

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here