Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tahota_gw

Can a sport of a patented plant be propagated or patented?

tahota
13 years ago

I have a sport of a patented plant that is vastly different from its parent (i.e. different color flower, different shaped flower, different and larger leaf, much more vigorous plant form). Can I propagate it?

Additionally, I have several Euphorbias including E. 'Ascot Rainbow' and E. 'First Blush' that are quite unstable...I have to remove green reversions regularly. I thought that a plant had to be stable to get a patent.

Comments (9)

• yiorges-z5il
    13 years ago

A patent atturney is the final authority But as I understand it the sport is different enought to get a patent.... most sports are not stable & often revert

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    13 years ago

A sport that does not resemble the patented parent should not use the name of the parent. To me you have a new plant and can name after yourself if you like. It will probably be unstable and as long as you do not attempt to patent it, I do not see the problem. I am a gardener, not a lawyer. Al

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

A significantly different, stable sport or mutation of a patented plant is not considered to be of the same genotype as the parent plant, is not covered by the parent plant's plant patent, and would be independently patentable if it meet the requirements of patentability.

• tahota
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Brandon. So what is the definition of 'stable'? Do reversions in a patented variegated plant invalidate the patent?

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

A plant is described as stable (in this case) if its asexually reproduced offspring are identical to the parent plant. All plant material has the potential to mutate, and mutation does not invalidate a plant patent. However, the characteristics that make the plant patentable are not supposed to be transitory. I haven't seen this pinned down exactly, so maybe there is some wiggle room for someone with legal standing.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    13 years ago

If you buy a plant with variegated foliage and white blooms and the new foliage is a solid green with pink blooms, the plant is unstable. Many plants require constant pruning to remove limbs that don't match the plants description. Those branches can be started as new plants but more often than not will be unstable. Several generations of stable plants would be required to be able to confirm a plant as stable. Al

• tahota
    Original Author
    13 years ago

...except you can't have generations with a cloned plant (which is required for patenting).

• Sherwood Botsford (z3, Alberta)
    13 years ago

No, you can't have gnerations, but a plant that maintains it's character through successive cut + root or tissue sample and growth, or cut and graft is stable.

There's another possibiltiy you need to check for: Did you get a mis-labeled plant from the nursery? If it's a branch sport, then you know you have something new. But if it has alwyas looked different since you got it, you may have a clerical error.

Example: I ordered a bunch of swedish aspen -- 500 of them. ONE of them turned out to be white poplar. I don't mind since I didn't have a white poplar.

• tahota
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It is definitely a sport...there is still a small branch of the original patented variety...but 90% of the plant is not the sport.

Sponsored