Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abunari

fig cutting showing tiny roots should i put it in soil now?

abunari
14 years ago

I cut off a small four inch piece of my brown turkey fig tree to see if i could get a cutting to grow for the first time. I placed the cutting in 100% turface in a see thru cup and dipped it in some rooting hormone. Its been about three weeks and i was checking the cutting and noticed one white root maybe a 1/4 inch or so growing out of the bottom node as well as half a dozen brown hairlike roots below it!

I recently bought some great specially mixed potting soil from my local nursery that they call a soiless mix with what seems to be the exact same mix of ingredients that tapla has for his pots.

my biggest question is, now that i see some roots forming on the cutting should i let it continue in the turface untill it has larger roots then put it in the soil or can i go ahead and move her now? the soil is said to already have 10-10-10 fertilizer and on the bag it contains dolomite, sphagnum peat moss, bark, perlite, vermiculate. i am worried that with them being new baby roots that the fertilizer will be to dramatic for her?

thank you for the help

Comments (6)

• plantavenue
    14 years ago

It's tough to know... although I have no experience with figs in particular, I've done many cuttings. Some you can almost stick directly in soil and they thrive, and some go downhill once they're planted regardless of how established their new roots seem to be!

What I do now is try and take at least two (if not more) cuttings every time, so that I can try planting them in soil at different times.

Good luck - I hope you get a good "fig specific" answer that helps :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant Avenue

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    14 years ago

I'd keep them in turface for now. Fig cuttings are finicky and seem to be very demanding of good drainage until they establish a pretty good root system. I have had excellent results with rooted cutting, once they start to root, when I leave them alone for a while and carefully monitor moisture levels. I have had very poor luck trying to transplant them up early. Now I leave them in something like pearlite until I see significant root growth, and I leave the moisture tent (with a vent for aeration) on them until I am sure the root system is sufficient to support the foliage.

• abunari
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, I will keep it in the turface until I see more root growth. At this time though it is only a twig, there are no leaves yet. they all fell off when I put the cutting in the turface. I also keep it in a large plastic container with the lid closed. Makes it kinda like a little green house. I open it up every day or so for some fresh air. when I removed the cutting and saw the new roots I also saw some white growth, im guessing mold? I wiped this off and put it back into the turface and it seems to be fine.I think I may have forgot to let it breath once or twice and it got too moist!

Thank you again for the great advice. I am hoping now that the roots are forming the roots will grow faster.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    14 years ago

You'll want to be very careful to monitor the moisture level in the turface and ensure sufficient air flow to prevent mold and disease from becoming a problem.

Usually, fig cuttings will bounce back at least once even after a leaf drop, but keep in mind that that was a setback for your cutting. The energy needed to produce the first leaves was lost when the leaves fell off and the cutting only has a limited amount of stored energy to grow new leaves. If you get another chance (new leaves are produced), you'll want to be sure conditions are just right.

• matt2006
    14 years ago

I for one think you should put in the ground. I now have three small fig trees that are three feet tall which I planted seven months ago. All I did was to cut these cuttings, soaked them, dipped them in rooting compound and planted them in my back yard. I do have excellent soil. Hope you make the right decision. Matt

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    14 years ago

They are probably not getting enough air or light. When the roots are an inch long I would plant them. I start brown turkey dormant cuttings every year. I lay the cuttings down about 6 to 8 inches long, in a container 4 to 6 inches deep filled with soil less potting soil. I keep the soil moist and at household temperatures until roots and leaves begin to grow. Every few weeks I dig them up to check for growth. When they are growing, not all of the dozen or so will begin growing at the same time, those that are growing I will pot up and keep in a good light, NOT sunlight, and they do very well. Some of those I started this spring already have fruit on them. Al