Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladycraft

Elephant ears

ladycraft
15 years ago

Neighbor gave me some shoots she had on her plants. If I need to go to another site let me know. I'm in SW MO zone 6 and am not sure they will winter and don't really have the room to plant all of them in pots in the house.

Comments (2)

• token28001
    15 years ago

Are there bulbs attached? If they are, you can cut off the foliage, let the bulbs dry in a nice warm, airy place. Then store them in a paper bag in a dark, cool place for the winter. In the spring, plant them out after the last chance of frost. I can usually keep them in the ground in zone 7, but I've lost a few here and there due to extreme cold.

• ladycraft
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No there aren't any bulbs attached. I was given some earlier this year without bulbs but they were potted and are in the ground now. I think I will dig them and try to save them. I'm assuming they form bulbs when they get bigger. I planted a huge bulb this year and didn't get but 2 small leaves. From observing those that have large leaves I must not have mine in enough sun. The weather has been weird here this year. We had so much rain I was late getting them in the ground. Ended up mudding some of my other plants in. Then it got hot and we have had numerous rains of 6"-7" When we are usually dried up by now.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting