Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hummersteve

Have you tried this method?

hummersteve
12 years ago

Im sorry that I cant find the youtube clip I found this method from. I will leave a link to a similar method but on a larger scale.

In my mix is 1/3 ea of peat, perlite and vermiculite or sand.

My question is will this be too wet as I have a 1/2 inch of water in the drain saucer each morning which I dump and start over. Im hoping with the mix I use it drains well enough into the saucer. In the video Im wondering isnt the water being retained by the plastic lining, but maybe it wont hurt because of the big box.

My method

{{gwi:961824}}

{{gwi:1177673}}

Here is a link that might be useful: propagation method

Comments (18)

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I finally found the clip I got this from, enjoy.

Here is a link that might be useful: propagation method

• SummerPerson
    12 years ago

I went today and purchased some 2" and 2 1/2" pots. I am going to try this method. In theory, it should work and the person in the video was an Iowa State University extension person.

I haven't put it together yet or tried it yet. Do your small pots sit on the bottom of your plastic pot? I went and purchased two different types of clay pots. One type was a lot taller than the other.

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    12 years ago

summerperson

No my clay pot doesnt quite sit on the bottom of the plastic pot. Im guessing I wont have 100% success but I feel its worth a try. First time for me too. I started mine on the 26th of sept. Good luck with yours.

• taxonomist
    12 years ago

This is quite petty, but how can one mix a third of each component when there are four components? Like I've said, it's quite petty!!!

• SummerPerson
    12 years ago

I still haven't gotten around to doing this yet, but I plan on using the same growing medium that the Iowa State University extension person did in the video. (For the video see the listing above by the person that started this thread.) The Iowa State University extension person used vermiculite, perlite, and peat moss.

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok Ive been doing this for nearly two weeks so can you imagine my surprise at seeing this when I opened the curtain this morning.

For those of you who dont know the blooms are from salvia blue ensign.

{{gwi:1177675}}

• ibartoo
    12 years ago

I love to use this method. I even use it outdoors under some dogwood trees. I have been able to root a much bigger variety of plants this way.

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    12 years ago

After two weeks I repotted these pots with straight vermiculite and an excuse to view what was happening below. And I had one big surprise . Some big time rooting going on with salvia oxyphora. And with a suggestion from a member Im adding it here. Also it has now been 4 weeks so in two weeks I will be doing an update to see what has rooted or not.

{{gwi:1177677}}

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

A few years back, I remember a thread about a similar method used inside a plastic tub (with the lid used to retain moisture and holes drilled in the bottom for drainage). It was a very popular thread for a long time. Maybe someone has a link or knows what to search for to find it.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

I found the thread and linked it below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Easy Propagation Chamber

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Brandon

I had not seen this method thanks for posting. I think with any method there will cuttings that will root easily and some that take much longer. I know for a fact that some of my cuttings are rooted now but it will be two more weeks before I pull the cuttings out and some will remain as I know they will take longer.

• billums_ms_7b
    12 years ago

I'm in my second year of using this method, and it works very well. The first year I rooted about 15 hydrangea bushes and had a 100% success rate. This year I moved on to roses and also had a 100% success rate.

I use a 50/50 mix of potting soil and builders sand as my rooting medium. My outside plastic pot is a bit larger than the ones you are using so I have a bit more room between the two pots for rooting medium.

I place my pots full of cuttings under a large bush outside so they are well shaded and just try to remember to keep the terracotta pot watered.

In the fall, I plant or give away the babies to friends.

• SummerPerson
    12 years ago

billums ms 7b, for the roses did you just cut maybe 4 inch lengths at an angle, dip in rooting compound and then put in the rooting medium? Did you do anything special for the roses? Anthing specific to try this for roses? Thanks.

I just learned of the above method when hummersteve posted the first post above. I did two Forsythe pots of flowers and had 100% success.

• billums_ms_7b
    12 years ago

On the roses and hydrangeas I take a cutting about the size of a pencil, strip the lower leaves, cut away the outer layer of "bark" in very thin strips (in three or four places depending on how thick the cutting is) running down the length of the bottom few inches of the cutting, dip it in rooting hormone and then stick it in the rooting medium.

This was the first time I've ever had good success with roses. I have managed to get it to work before in a regular pot, but my success rate was truly horrible.

• billums_ms_7b
    11 years ago

I wanted to give this thread a bump and remind people that this is the time of year to take softwood cuttings.

This is still the easiest propagation method with softwood cuttings I've ever found. All you have to do is remember to refill the center pot with water every week or two.

• hala2012
    11 years ago

Thank you guys, I'm going to try that method with my dwarf korean lilac, and maybe I will ask for a hydrangea cutting from my neighbour:) but how long do I wait before I check on them?! thx & happy gardening ;-) Hala, Toronto, Canada

• billums_ms_7b
    11 years ago

In my zone, new babies get killed more often by the heat of summer than anything else, so for me there is no motivation to do anything but leave them in the rooting pot until fall when it gets safe to plant things out again.

I think that after two months a softwood cutting from a shrub should be either rooted or dead, but some things just develop roots slower than others. (One of the gardening magazines recommends six weeks for hydrangeas.)

Lilacs give me zone envy when I visit relatives in the Poconos. Good luck.

• casagrande
    9 years ago

I have watched and read everything about this method. and it is great, thank you for posting and sharing but something I don't understand. If you are putting a c over on this, and you are using a moisture holding medium, I see no need for the little clay pot. the cover being on keeps the moisture and humidity high, does it not?

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus