Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone have luck prop w/Cotoneaster or Scotch Broom cuttings?

Posted by debndulcy SE PA (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 22, 10 at 10:52

I've tried a couple of times - using what are standard procedures for SW cuttings, and now going to try SH (broom just seems to get harder, not woody, really).

Has anyone here had any luck in getting either of these to root?

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone have luck prop w/Cotoneaster or Scotch Broom cuttings?

Ack! No! Don't propagate Scotch Broom! Kill it! Kill it! Kill it before it spreads.

o

Oh no, oregon... I don't see many around here and when you find one in a nursery, they're expensive. Either a range of yellows, or a red/pink/purple one.

I just checked Taylor's (book) and it says 'scoparius' of the leguminosae (bean) family (to Zone 6) "can be troublesome because of its rampant growth." If they are rampant around here... someone please let me know and I'll come by and dig them up/out for you :)

Since it was hard to find a friend w/one, to try propagation, I want to try it again in the meanwhile. Again, if anyone has the same difficulty finding them as I do and has been able to prop. them, let me know what the secret is! ... Sorry, oregon... :)

Thank you!

o

Debndulcy
the cottoneaster should root very readily from any (soft, hard, green, etc) growth with a bit of hormone. Around here, we just bend the long branches till you hear them crack and set a rock on top of them - if you do this now, you;ll have roots by spring. You can also take hardwood cuttings (a big handful, tie them in a bundle and shove then in a 5 gallon pot, or in a hole) and they'll be ready in spring.If you take cuttings in the spring and mist them, they seem to root in about 2 weeks.

I understand where OregonWoodSmoke is coming from regarding the "kill it" statement. Out here on the west coast, scotch broom is a tremendously hardy woody weed that takes over open ground pretty rapidly. we have a great environment for it and it gets 6-12 feet tall in about 3 years with a 2+ inch diameter base (some get huge!)- it seems like if it is growing any where near disturbed soil, the seeds have a near 100% germination rate. That being said, we are talking about the nasty yellow scotch broom. There are varieties (pink, red, white, etc) that are hybrids or do not set such viable seed and are not nearly as obsessed with taking over the world that would very nice in a garden setting (don;t baby these or they may take over where you live). I don't believe broom is native on the west coast - another invasive species like himilayan blackberry and japanese knotweed - we battle it constantly, and I would have to agree that the "kill it, Kill It" statement would be applicable for our part of the county. I am sorry - I have no advice for you on the broom - if you want to come dig some up - I am sure the states of OR, WA, ID, and N CA would grant you permission to dig it all up....

o

HI greenendup, and thanks for the info on cotoneaster and explanation re scotch broom.. though I know there are some prohibitions for going across state lines with plants, I'll put the broom on 'my list' to look up when I get out to the west coast! Fascinates me to look at/learn the specifics - in all parts of any country - that support one vegetation or another. 'Perhaps you could dig up a truck load and bring them east.. could pay for your trip with what they get for them here! :)

Tried cotoneaster several times, various ways, without success. Going to give them my last shot now (w/more confidence based on what you say), as I'd like to be able to over-winter them (while moving) and plant next spring. I'll assume they do OK in pots and transplant easily enough. I love them - and their varieties - as ground cover.

My 'stalks' of potted broom cuttings are still green.. and I'm hopeful; I also love their range of colors, size and shape.

Thanks again to both you and oregonwoodsmoke for the helpful info!

D.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here