Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Propagating a Quince

Posted by geoffs_ri 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 11, 10 at 11:00

I have a flowering quince that gives good fruit at my house. Unfortunately, I will be moving during the winter, but I would like to be able to take some of this plant with me.

What techniques would have the highest success rate with this type of plant? Has anyone had success rooting cuttings from a quince? What about air-layering at this time of the year (mid September)...is it too late for that?

Thanks for any help you might offer.
Geoff in RI

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Propagating a Quince

Now is a good time to take tip cuttings of this plant apply 0.8% IBA (rooting hormone) stick in well drained soil & mist. Bottom heat may help

o

'Plant Propagation' suggests a whip-and-tounge, chip-bud or T-bud graft onto rootstock. Buy some rootstock and give it a try, rootstock is only a few dollars each and if you do several you're bound to have one succeed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fruit tree propagation

o

I am also trying to propagate a quince cutting outside. Should I bring it inside for the winter until it is established?

o

If you are taking cuttings and they are still inside I would recommend keeping them inside and then going normally from there in the spring. The root system will be to premature (not a healthy/large enough root system) and the the plant not hardy enough and will die if newly cultivated(which is why spring is the optimal time to do cutting as they have all summer to develop a root system).

They also need slow weather change outside to "harden off" and become slowly dormant for winter, and cant be simply grown in a warm climate and then dropped off outside in freezing temperatures and expected to survive (or at the very least have some extensive die back and damage). I had some Azalea cutting that took to long to cut and I myself have to keep them indoors for the first winter.

-Good Luck

o

pizza - I got the impression that the question was about flowering quince i.e. Chaenomeles, rather than true quince i.e. Cydonia, so I would go for cuttings as being much easier than grafting. For the latter you'd need a Chaenomeles rootstock and I'm not sure where you'd get one if you were not in the nursery trade or had time to grow your own from seed.

o

Flora_uk...Thanks for responding to this old post...actually, it is a true (fruiting) quince. As it turns out, we couldn't sell our house this year, so I have the opportunity to deal with the quince in the winter/spring...my time this summer and fall was taken up by propagating and then winterizing my in-ground fig.

Geoff

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here