Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting rooted diffenbachia stem cutting

Posted by bethfl 7b (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 16, 10 at 11:36

This plant has been in our family for years and I'm trying to start new ones for relatives. Going to try to attach a photo. In case there's no pic I'll try to describe it. It's been in a dish of water, laying horizontally - a thick stem about an inch and a half in diameter. New roots are growing at the bottom and two new stems have formed at the"top." This is where I've run into problems before after placing in soil . . . the thick stem begins to rot or shrivel. I've read that some people keep them in water but I'd rather plant. Any advice is so appreciated!

I don't see how to attach pic so I hope my question is clear. Thanks!
Beth in SC

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting rooted diffenbachia stem cutting

1) water roots are not stable when placed in soil ...& they die & so may the stem.... this true for all plants
2) apply o.1% IBA (rooting hormone) stick in well drained, but moist soil & mist 1-2 time a day if needed
3) If you must start in water watch carefully for the very first appearance of a root then put in moist soil. keep soil damp & mist 1-2 times a day....

o

Thank you for your reply. I use rooting hormone for most of my cuttings but with no luck the two times I tried it with a diffenbachia stem. Wish I could post a pic - the new plantlet is very healthy - about six inches tall. Do you mean use the r h on this one or a new one?
Beth

o

My diffenbachia plant is about 6 years old. It's the large leaf variety. In august I cut it back because it was leggy and put it back in the soil. The top portion of the 5 leaves were healthy, however, since then all of the leaves has turned yellow and died. There is one new leaf left and it has not opened and it is turning yellow. I cut it back again because the cutting got mushy. Can you help. I'm trying to save this plant,because my father started it for me and he is now deceased. Please help. thanks

o

Hi Yvette, welcome to Gardenweb! I would encourage you to start a new discussion in the house plant forum for your new question. Your question will be noticed by many more growers of Dief there. Has the original part from which you cut the top started to make a new top yet?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here