Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thahalibut

Propagating Cuttings help please...

thahalibut
15 years ago

I have been trying to propagate cuttings for about 2 years now (other plants). My success is about 10%. I built a mini green house this year & started some butterfly bush cuttings & just the other day some sedums. All see everyone say these 2 are so easy to do but... The box is out of the sun but gets enough light, I think. So far I tried sedum autumn fire leaves & they all rotted. About a week ago I started some butterfly bush cuttings & although they look ok, they are getting moldy, yea I guess the lid needs to be opened up more????? I started some sedum autumn joy cuttings a few days ago with stems that were hardened for a day. The leaves on them are turning yellow fast & I think they might be rotting.

I am hardening more sedums, & plan to keep them out of the green house. But they wont get any mist at all.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong or can you help?

Thanks

thahalibut

Comments (12)

• gardendee
    15 years ago

I am in Florida and I propagated sedum Autumn Joy two weeks ago. All I did is stuck the cutting in potting soil and put them in the shade. They look good and seems to be rooting. I also laid a few leaves on the soil and looks like I will be getting some plants from them too.

I've been rooting butterfly bush for a year now. I do the same thing, I take the flowers off the cuttings, stick them in wet potting soil, put them in the shade for about 4 weeks and then gradually put them in full sun.

I got a feeling that since you are in zone 9, the plants may be overheating in the green house (this may explain the yellowing and rotting) and the humidity inside it is making them moldy.

I do not mist my potted cuttings. I let the soil dry out, then I water the root area (check every 3-4 days) and keep the foliage dry.
    Hope this helps.

Dee

• little_dani
    15 years ago

It sounds like you have too much moisture on your cuttings. Allow for more air circulation and not so much water. Especially the sedum.

Janie

• thahalibut
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well I started some more cuttings. I got 1/2 peat moss & 1/2 perlite mixed & wetted but not drenched. I put them in the bright shade in the open to get full air. About half of those have now died. Same with the new butterfly bush cuttings too. I dont get it.

• keeversgirl
    15 years ago

I would highly suggest googling the information specifically for each family of plants, I have found that very helpful.

• lavernialadybug
    15 years ago

I start the sedum from the rossetts in the spring when they first come out of dormancy. So far, so good. Haven't had much luck with cutting from the butterfly bush but I'll keep trying. Anything I trim gets put in pots - so now I have an over abundance of a LOT of plants.

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

I am very new to propogating cuttings, but so far what I've done is use a 1/3 each of compost, peat, and vermiculite mixed together good for soil. I buy a bunch of clear plastic 16 ounce cups. I either drill holes in the bottom of one or I poke a nail through several places in the bottom of the cups to make holes. I plant the cutting in the premoistened soil in the first cup with the holes and place that in a second cup without holes in the bottom to collect extra water. I only water really good the first time I place the cutting in it. After that I only slightly spray moisten the top of the soil if it feels dry to the touch. I put my cups in my windowsill. They can be hardened off and planted in the garden when you can see the roots through the clear cup, which usually doesn't take long. I hope this helps!

Blessings,
    Angela

• marthaye
    15 years ago

This is a method I read about years ago. It has worked for me. Buy a clear plastic storage box (large box). Fill 1/3 full of rocks. Drill small holes at the rock line. Must be very small so that sand will not seep out. Fill with water to rocks. fill about 5-6" with play sand. Make cuttings. I use root tone. put hole in sand and put in cuttings. Let stay until cuttings show growth and roots. Can check for roots with a slight tug. I have not tried hard wood cuttings until now. I will not disturb these cuttins until next summer.

• janet1_2007
    15 years ago

I have had great success rooting sedum in water. I just break a stem off and put it in a jar of water and it roots really quickly. Last week, I acidently broke a piece of my prennial begonia when I was pulling weeds. I put it in water and now it has lots of little roots growing.I don't know about the butterfly bush, but I have been told that they will root in water too.I would try, if you have cuttings that you can use. I like to try different things--but that's just me----

• indu_modali
    15 years ago

I would like to know how to take cuttings from a fig tree. I live in Maryland. I have root harmone and I thought I could just take cutting and dip it in root harmone and stick in a pot of soil and it should develop roots and become a tree. But I am not able to do this process. Indu

• medontdo
    15 years ago

ok, i have to ask, 1. do you have holes in the bottom? also, 2. what type of "soil" are you using? and3. are you using root horomone??
    the reason i ask is because when i started messing with this propagation is i didn't put holes in, whew that was a huge mistake!! Hee Hee soiless soil is better! ummm...such a contradiction of words isn't it!! LOL
    so i go to lowes and buy the staygreen soil, its not only soft and no big chunks and no rocks. but it also has a moisture retainer thingi, in this case aqua control, LOL the one i get is in a green bag, and because of the amount of stuff i do, i get the 3 cu ft for 10.97. yes that's totally the right amount!! LOL and it feeds for 9 months!!
    when you do this, what i have been taught by reading this, and have learned, is to drill the holes, use 1/4" make lots of holes, for the drainage.
    dampen the soil once put in there, and make sure that its ALL damp,
    then poke holes in there with something that is gonna be bigger than what your gonna put in there.
    now make your cuttings, make sure that you have cuttings that are just below the nodes, or where the leaves had come out, also its helpful to make a little nick just below where the node is.
    get it wet
    dip it into the horomone
    carefully put it into the hole, making sure not to knock off the rooting horomone.
    carefully push the soil up to the cutting.
    mist. do this misting often thru out the day. at least 4 times. i leave mine in the shade, but not real dark shade.
    also i don't put any kind of lid on them.
    i havent lost anything yet. thank goodness!! LOL i am a avid lerker here!! LOL

i think if you do take a cutting from the fig, it has to be soft wood, and from what a friend has told me you have to strip a little back (1") and dip it in the horomone, soiless soil, and mist, it should develope roots, don't know how long, george would be the best on that!! hope that helps a little!! ~Medo

• daffodillady
    15 years ago

I have rooted several batches of figs in the early summer, in water in 5 gallon buckets set in bright shade, and they have all done fine when planted in a pot or in the yard. I do wait until they have a lot of roots before I set them out. My cuttings were about 18-4 inches long.

• medontdo
    15 years ago

its funny but some of my raspberry bushes have some of their rootings started in water in the tire i put around another bush.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!