Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overwintering new crepe myrtle cuttings

Posted by Robins1stGarden 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 5, 13 at 13:52

Hi all. I have finally gotten a few crepe myrtles to root for me, from cuttings. 2 are doing great. I have 7 others that I started about 2 weeks ago so the jury is still out on those...but my question is: Part 1- of the 2 that are doing great, they have new growth (see the pic) but they are still very small. Should I plant those now, wait til they are a little bigger (like next month-October) or just wait til Spring? I'm not sure what to do with them now that they are getting new growth. Part 2 of this question is, the same question but for the other 7 that are still in the process of rooting. Assuming they do get roots and start getting new growth, it will be October before they are to the same stage as the first 2. Will that be too late in the year to do anything with them?

I'm very new to this so I apologize if this is a dumb question :)

Thanks, Robin.

This post was edited by Robins1stGarden on Thu, Sep 5, 13 at 14:17

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overwintering new crepe myrtle cuttings

Here in our climate I would keep them in their pots over winter and plant them out in the spring after growth has started and frost has stopped. If I can, I start my cuttings earlier, so I don't risk losing them over winter. Al

o
RE: Overwintering new crApe myrtle cuttings

Zone 7 is near the borderline of hardiness for some crApe myrtles. In the ground, probably most/any crApe myrtle cultivar would be fine, but, in a pot, they might be a little vulnerable (especially for very small plants and especially during a colder winter). If you do keep them in pots, I'd recommend putting them in a somewhat sheltered location (up against your house, in an unheated building, entire pot heeled into the ground, etc). They might survive without much protection, but it could be more dicey in colder parts of zone 7.

o
RE: Overwintering new crepe myrtle cuttings

Thanks. I went ahead and planted the two in the pic. For the other 7 I'll probably keep them on my covered deck in my mini greenhouse til spring. Oh and I did start rooting earlier...June actually but I'm a rookie so it took that long to get it right haha. Thanks for the help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here