Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I leave an air layer on the plant all winter?

Posted by stuckinthedirt 6b VA (Shenandoah Va (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 5, 10 at 14:49

I am trying to air layer several of my mother-in-law's camellias. I set them up in the beginning of April. We came to visit over the weekend, and I checked one. It has a large callus, but no roots yet. Is it ok to leave the air layer on the bush for the winter, or will the cold temperatures kill any roots that may be developing? They live outside of Charlotte, NC, so they get minimum temps of about 10F.

My other thought would be to cut them off the bush later in the fall, pot them up, and put in a protected spot outside where the roots wouldn't freeze.

What are people's experience with this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I leave an air layer on the plant all winter?

I would suggest you leave the plant(s) as is do not remove BUT do keep the soil around the plant DAMP not wet. this will prevent the roots (but not the soil) from freesing

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here