Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can't Get my Bougainvillea Cuttings to Grow- I am desperate

Posted by felinefrenzy 4 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 1, 12 at 15:14

Hello-

I am currently living in South Africa where bougainvilleas are big and beautiful outdoors. I am desperately trying to grow some plants from cuttings (from a wild plant) due to sentimental reasons before I move back to the US.

I have killed over 30 cuttings even though I've spent hours online researching how to propagate bougainvilleas from cuttings.

My usual 'method' is to take a cutting that's roughly 6-8" long, roughly 1/8" inch thick, cut off all but the top 2-3 leaves, pot in a well draining mix, scrape the bottom of the cutting, swipe in rooting hormone, plant in a small pot with holes in the bottom.

I then put the plant and cutting into a zip top bag. I spritz water in the bag and on the soil until slightly moist.

I 'water' them this way about every other day. I open the bags at night to let oxygen in. I close them up and put them in the sun (inside) during the day. Overnight they are on a heated floor (we just got past the winter).

I have had 1-3 small 'successes' (small leaves open up) but then the leaves turn brown and die, never to bloom again. I know almost nothing about plants and flowers in general so I may not even use proper gardening terms.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can't Get my Bougainvillea Cuttings to Grow- I am desperate

I couldn't find a bougainvillea specific forum on here but moderators, please feel free to move this post if it's in the wrong forum. Thanks

o

We can not grow Bougainvillea here, too cold, but I have never had any luck with woody cuttings as small as you are using. Can you get cuttings at least as large as a pencil? Al

o

• Posted by nil13 z21 Mt. Washington L (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 4, 12 at 11:16

"Creative Propagation" says, semi-mature, over bottom heat with mist. Mature, over bottom heat. And layering if you have access to the plant. Sometimes the time of year has a big impact on cutting success as well.

o

if you are truly desperate..

what i would do.. is find a bougain nursery state side..

send them pix of the plant you have.. so they can ID it..

and then buy it when you get back ...

that answer above.. basically suggests.. that the common home owner.. short of some very professional equipment.. and a greenhouse ... simply isnt going to do it very easily ...

though you may not capture the precise memory.. you can at least create an equivalent ... AND!!! .. not have to worry about how to get it thru customs ...

ken

o

Hi everyone- thanks for the help and suggestions! I have a few cuttings at my parent's house stateside that looked totally dead. They haven't done anything in the last 2 months. I took a tiny blade to make a small slice in the bark (I read somewhere that if it's still green under the bark it's still alive) and sure enough, a few are still alive! I'm not sure that means they'll stay alive, especially since I cut into their bark. :(

I am not quite sure how to tell when parts of the mother plant are semi-mature but I think I did come across that once in my searching. I am going to take a few more cuttings (if there are only good ones left!) in about a month so fingers crossed, I can make them grow. If not, I think I'm taking Ken's advice and buying some stateside.

Thanks again everyone!

o

I found that also how come there is no Bougainvillea forum in Garden Web? I just happened to come to Mid- Atlantic cause that is where I live by accident and found it here...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here