Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
propagating hydrangeas

Posted by strgazer 3/mb (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 9, 07 at 15:26

I would like to know if there is a way to propogate hydrangeas.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: propagating hydrangeas

Hydrangeas are easily propagated from cuttings. No tricks, nothing special is required. Al

o

I have found hydrangeas very easy to propagate, but I have been far less successfull keeping them healthy and alive after getting them into the ground here.

We want to grow everything. Everything just won't grow here.

Al is right. Just cut them and stick them. Keep them moist, they will root.

Janie

o

I found the easiest way to propogate hydranges is by layering.
1. Find a stem that is closest to the ground.
2. Wound or scrape the stem with you finger or a knife.
3. Cover the stem with dirt and place a brick or rock on the top.
4. You should have a rooted plant next spring.
5. You then cut it from the mother plant. I leave it in the ground for a few weeks and then move it to a location of your choice.

I have rooted at leat 25 hydranges of all varaties using this method.

o

They work well with dormant wood. Cut pencil thick stems in late winter - maybe March or so where you are, dip in rooting hormone and stick them in sand or vermiculite in a pot or a trench in the ground. (in light shade or part sun is good) Stick them deep - take cuttings with 5-6 nodes and leave only the top node exposed. They should put out leaves by late spring and you should be able to pot them up or plant in a nursery bed by fall. I did PG Tardiva in spring 2006 and the plants are good-sized now- about 2 ft tall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here