Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purplebee_gw

Propagating Lavender from current stock

purplebee
16 years ago

I currently have 2&3 year old Grosso and Provance lavender plants. I'd like some information on how best to propagate from my lavender stock. My goal is to propagate around 2000 of each type. What kind of root hormone? Time of year? etc. Thanks

Comments (8)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    16 years ago

Lavender start easily from cuttings. Use tip cuttings, hormone, and bottom heat with mist or tenting. Allow 30 to 60 days for root development. Seeds are usually easier for large quantities, but take a year longer to produce a flowering plant. Al

• trilliumgeek42
    16 years ago

By any chance are you starting a farm in Sequim? With Lavender you don't want to take cutting from plants that are in or about to flower. What you look for are 1-2 in new growth stems and you want the stems somewhat bendable. Cut them off and dip them in root powder, be carefull not to breath in the powder. Put them in just pearlite over bottom heat and no mist. In the spring they root very quickly but in the fall they take about twice as long. While I was working at a nursery I could get 50-75 cutting per gallon container, but that was being greedy! With Lavender you never want to cut into the old wood, they never seem to recover, esp hear in washington! Email me if you need anymore help

Happy growing,
    Jason

16 years ago

Trilliamgeek, you made me laugh about starting a lavender farm in Sequim. That is probably one of the only locations in the country where soft wood cuttings can be started without a humidity control. Al

• dandy_line (Z3b N Cent Mn)
    16 years ago

Sequim?-who would want to try to grow anyting in Sequim-too much sunshine!

• gardening_j
    14 years ago

What is bottom heat by any chance? I want to thin out my lavender and plant it somewhere else as well.

• ditas
    14 years ago

Hi gard'g j - If all you want as you say:

"I want to thin out my lavender and plant it somewhere else as well."

... I have done it easily by pinning down some of the stems into the ground cover stem with a bit of soil & a brick on top - in a short while (younger stems will root sooner), you have another clump to wean from 'mommy' & move to another site! Â;)

For sentimental reasons, I wanted to produce from 2 different Lavender plants, (planted some 20 yrs ago, in memory of my mom & dad) - both are now in bloom! Â;)

Good luck & happy gardening!

14 years ago

Cuttings usually start faster if the soil is warmer than the air temperature. I keep my soil at 70 degrees for most plants while the air temperature varies from 40 to 60 degrees. Soft wood cuttings must be tented or misted to maintain high humidity which prevents wilting until roots have formed. Al

• Shellymae1970
    10 years ago

I love this forum!!! I am pretty new to it but I can read things from years ago and learn from them....I hope you have a whole field of Lavender by now :)

I have a Lavender plant I adore and being we are down to 1 income now buying new plants are out of the question.....so this really helpled me skipping outside to take some cuttings :)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner