Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
when to try prop. perennial flowers?

Posted by debndulcy SE PA (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 5, 10 at 16:48

I'll be moving sometime over the next few months and would like to take some of my garden with me, if I can..:) I've tried, using cuttings/methods described in here and elsewhere, to root special echinaceas, phlox, veronica, and hellianthus, w/o success over the last few months. I expect some of it had to do with the excessive heat we've had.

Not sure, but think I read the best time to try rooting perennials is spring/early summer, or new/early growth. Is that true?

I'd much appreciate any info, or references that would help me decide whether to try.

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: when to try prop. perennial flowers?

Cuttings of firm new growth often found spring or early summer is easest to root. You might also consider dividing the plant late fall

o

Thank you, yiorges-.. Sounds as if I remembered correctly. I may still try for some rooting. They're in long enough to divide.

'Appreciate the assistance -

D.

o

One of my friends just bought a house and one of the conditions was that the previous owner could take some of the perennials with them. But their gardens were so big that a lot of it needed to be divided up anyways. I agree with yiorgie better to divide probably. Have you collected any seed from the echinaceas? They should be ready to drop seed right about now. My other friend usually collects seed from hers and spreads it elsewhere in the yard.

o

I mis-typed earlier, in that I don't think they're in long enough to have clumps large enough to divide. Though since my beds are really full, I might try to work something out.

Thank you for the suggestion about echinacea seed. I confess I've never collected/grown from my own seed. This would be a good time to learn. I'm guessing I'll find instructions on here in the seed forum...

o

Many perennials grow so fast in the spring they require multiple pinching to keep within bounds. Those pinched parts are usually very easy to start. Some plants like mums I can't save all the new starts, for lack of planting space. Al

o

That's a great thought, Al.. I too, try to 'stick' my mum and aster clips in the spring, summer, and can never do all for lack of supplies and space - given all else I'm usually trying to start. Wondering now if I should have been pinching my phlox back, btw, as they've got multiple heads on top from dead-heading and they don't look so great.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here