Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I find the seed on a Victoria Blue Sage?

Posted by mt1749 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 26, 13 at 17:03

I'm hoping that by overwintering my Victoria Blue they will survive the winter, but I'm not holding my breath. I want to try to grow some from seed, but I have never grown anything from seed and I feel completely lost.

How and where do I get the seed from the plant?
When should I take the seed from the plant?
What's the next step? And the next?

I have been searching for this information but I haven't found anything that is dumbed down to the level that I need it to be.

Thanks so much for any help/advice. I'm really excited about doing this. I just don't know where to start.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I find the seed on a Victoria Blue Sage?

Seeds are formed from the flower. After the flower fades the seeds are produced. When the flower stems drys cut it off and put it in a paper bag and the seeds will fall out and you will need to find them and separate from the chafe. Seed identification sites are available on the internet to show you what the seed looks like. Some named plants are hybrids not producing viable seeds so you should check. In our climate I take cuttings to expand plantings. Al

o

Okay how do you now get results with planting the seed, you told us how to harvest them what next. Please and thank you. Norma

o

norma if you want to grow from seed, you need to know all seed can not be treated the same. Many will have ways to prevent germination until conditions are right for their growth. There are sites on line with germination data bases, which will tell you how to treat most seeds before planting, including best temperature for germination. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here