Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maternut

Lycoris bulbs

maternut
11 years ago

Looking for information on cutting lycoris bulbs. I mean cutting into four or eight pieces. Type of soil rooting hormone etc.I know I have read about this but can't find now. This is to get faster probagation. Thanks for any info.

Comments (8)

• maternut
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry for my spelling in above post. Spell check no better than my brain.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Not that I would yet have an answer to your question, but which kind do you have?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

go to the link

then go to the first link..

read down the page.. then hit the link under propagation ... where it says 'MORE'

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• maternut
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Ken, that was the article I was looking for. Purpleinopp I have red, yellow and white ordered. After reading the link, I wonder if squamigera is the only one you can split. Also what is Consan 20 sulution, bleach or something else. Thanks for the help.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

you didnt get the clue to use google???

do understand.. that it might take 3 to 5 years ... to grow bulbs mature enough to bloom???

most likely it refers to the need to have a basically sterile environment.. no bugs or disease issues.. all tools should be sterilized in 10% bleach ... etc .. and sterilize your media ... probably wouldnt hurt to have a temp and humidity controlled greenhouse.. you did note the requisite temps i hope.. not going to be easy in the house ...

and what you will find out.. is that it will end up cheaper.. to just buy the mature bulbs.. and in a few years.. take the offsets ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

11 years ago

I agree, Ken. I'm about as frugal as they come, but this is a risky plan with your new investment. If it backfires, you're out the money, and no flowers. But apparently it can be done. If you're patient enough to have a 4-5 year plan, it sounds like you would have more bulbs overall at that point *if* it all went extremely well. But that's a daggone long time to wait for a patch of bulbs to flower. The article I linked makes it sound like the pros don't even do it that way for sale.

• maternut
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks folks I sure don't have that much time to wait. I will not split them. I am so old next spring, is a long ways off.

11 years ago

You may want to ask the folks on the bulbs forum to confirm or deny and I've only had the red ones, L. radiata. Are those the red ones you got? They are late bloomers. The pic I posted above was taken just a few days before. There were a ton of these in the yard and I dug them up this time last year because that's when the foliage grows and you know where they are. Hardly any of the moved ones grew flowers this year but they are starting to grow foliage. From what I've read, that's normal for moved Lycoris, taking a year off from blooming.

White or yellow ones may bloom earlier. Those sound very cool. I didn't know there were any. Used to have pink ones in OH.

If you want spring bulbs, you may want to get some others, like Tulips, Hyacinth, Daffodils, Crocus, yada yada yada...

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH