Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please...how to take cuttings from Mexican Petunia...

Posted by maryhelen z8b FL (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 21, 05 at 17:36

and then how to best root them? Mine is not the invasive type.

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please...how to take cuttings from Mexican Petunia...

I found several sources, one of which is linked below. It appears that the common sorts of Ruellia can be propagated by stem cuttings which root easily, or by root cuttings, as well as by seed. Mexican petunias are viewed as somewhat invasive in warm climates.

Another link:

http://web.tri-isys.com/greenhearts/petal2.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: Ruellia information

o

• Posted by Baci z10Ca (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 23, 05 at 7:26

Cut off a piece of stem, remove the lower leaves, & stick it in the ground. You can also root them in water. If it is warm, they can wilt, so water rooting may be better. You can stick the entire cutting in water to refresh it, & when temperatures cool off, stick the roots only in water.
Bush & dwarf varieties root this way. Dwarf varieties also propagate easily by rhizome division.

o

You didn't mention what kind of Mexican Petunias you have- I have the tall purple mexican petunias. Basically, as long as your plant has flowered once, you can cut off about 6 inches from the top, cut the leaves all in half to reduce stress, then slice the cut end up about 1/2" to 1 " to allow more water to be absorbed. Stick the cutting in dirt in sun and just water a little daily for 1-2 weeks. By then you will have roots and the plant is on it's own. You can also easily propogate by dividing roots. I found that when rooting the Mexican Petunias I have in water- they drop leaves and sag.

o

• Posted by Baci z10Ca (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 9, 05 at 6:55

I forgot to add that I add an airstone to my water, which may counteract wilting. You should wait until after they flower, but when mine break off they root this way. My variety is the tall purple the dwarf I divide the rhizome.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here