Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
slow growth on gardenia cuttings

Posted by bama647 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 5, 10 at 18:05

Hey everyone quick question for the gardenia people on here. I have several cutting I have rooted from an August beauty. I have them in 4 inch pots with about 1/3 each of sand,potting soil and peat. I give them a few hours of morning sun and a couple hours of eveving sun.I really haven't fertilized them except for some weak mixture of the blue stuff once or twice. Anyway my question is although they look healthy and doing well they really haven't put out any new growth. They have had roots for 6 to 8 weeks and I'm just wondering if this is kinda normal or am I missing a key ingrediant to get them going?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: slow growth on gardenia cuttings

Bama, to me it sounds like you're doing everything right. In my experience, gardenias are in general slow growers. As far as fertilizer is concerned, I would continue doing what you're doing: very rarely and with a very light hand. I assume you're using an acid fertilizer like Miracid. Their growth will pick up when they're good and ready :-) Good luck with them (what's the variety, by the way?) Gary

o

Thanks Gary they are from an August beauty

o

I just looked it up on the Wayside site. Lucky you! G

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here