Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Want to reproduce mystery plant

Posted by ordoman Mexico (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 10, 10 at 19:02

Hello!

I recently moved into a new house, and in the yard there is this 4m tall tree with gorgeous bright pink flowers that look like they're made from crepe paper:

I would like to grow another tree like it, but given that I am a complete beginner, I have absolutely no idea what species of plant this is or how it reproduces. Any pointers you could give me would be much appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Want to reproduce mystery plant

I suggest you take a tip cutting. Apply 0.1% IBA (Rooting hormone) stick in well drained soil & mist. most likly will take 25-60 days to root

o

Ordoman, that is one beautiful HIBISCUS. As yiorges noted, you can propagate it via tip cuttings. I do this routinely for new plants in my attached greenhouse. Your plant should root quite readily. Make the cutting about 4" or so, strip all but a few leaves at the top and pinch out any nascent flower buds. Make a fresh diagonal cut and perhaps strip about 3/4" of the very outer layer of the cutting (this depends on how soft or how woody the cutting is; if soft, don't bother with this step). Dip in rootone or other hormone, if you have it, put the cutting in a porous mixture of potting soil plus vermiculite, perlite or coarse sand, firm the mix around the cutting, then use a mister, as suggested, or put it under a plastic or glass dome (or, as I do, in a translucent plastic storage box), out of direct sunlight. It will root more readily in warmer temps (70s, 80s). Good luck. Gary

o

Ordoman - that looks like a gorgeous "rose-of-sharon" (Hibiscus syriacus). I am in the Northwest - These plants root readily here if you just take cuttings about 8-12 inches long in the fall (after leaves have fallen) and shove them in the ground about 1/2 way. Hormone would surely help, but we have a pretty high success rate just sticking them "au natural".

o

It's certainly a Hibiscus but I don't think it's the hardy H syriacus. The OP is in Mexico and the plant looks like H. rosa-sinensis to me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here