Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
spice bush

Posted by dinajean upstate SC - Z7 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 3, 07 at 19:24

Does anyone know if I can propagate a spice bush from a softwood cutting? I also have a couple dried pods from this summer with seeds inside. Can I and how do I proceed with propagating it with those seeds? I have never grown anything from seed before, very new at this. ANY help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance, Dina :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: spice bush

Are you talking about Lindera Benzoin (which has red berries) or Calycanthus floridus?

o

I believe it is a Calycanthus - it has the pods that look like okra in the summer.

o

From cuttings I would scrape the last inch or so of the stem a bit to expose more of the wood to rooting hormone. Dip the stem in hormone and put in a sterile mix (use a stick to make the hole and then tamp the mix around the stem once it is the hole).

I cover my stem cuttings with a plastic bag & rubber band and they are self watering. Recently I put several potted cuttings into a large rubbermaid type container and covered the whole thing with plastic sheeting and secured with bungee cords.

As for the pods, you can probably crack them open to get the seeds and winter sow them. If you are not sure it is Calycanthus, you might want to do a web search to confirm. We call Calycanthus floridus "sweet shrub" around here so as not to confuse it with Lindera benzoin. There are lots of other common names for it besides that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here