Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Low Stress Training. An Interactive bloom booster!

Posted by TheGreenCycler Colorado! (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 24, 12 at 19:27

We here at Ecotonix have been working hard in our personal time to get the most out of our flowers. One technique I've started implementing and has blown my mind, is what I like to call Low Stress Training, or LST. The concept is extremely simple, and it's a shame that it isn't implemented more often on a commercial level for higher outputs. Anyways, the basic idea, is to reroute growth hormones from the light-seeking internode at the top of the plant, and distribute them equally among other lower lying branches. For warning, I do not have much experience with this technique and vegetables and fruit plants, and don't truly see how it would benefit the plant other than a wider growing area, if that's what you are looking for. As a flowering plant grows upward, while the stem is still soft, you may bend the stem towards the ground gently with rubber wire, or whatever you please. In a few days, you will see the top internode of the bent plant begin to ascend back upwards towards the sun, but this time there will also be one or two more top internodes that have been created, where there used to be normal branches, as the space between the branches, paxil I believe? not sure, begins to have access to sunlight, and hormones have been rerouted to other internodes to grow upwards as if the plant had been broken.
This can be an EXTREMELY rewarding technique, and if done right, may replace your personal growing methods. Have fun experimenting,
TheGreenCycler

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Low Stress Training. An Interactive bloom booster!

i understand why this might be important in the florist trade.. to increase stems that bloom for cutting..

but i dont see what it would do for most gardeners ...

it is not uncommon.. when trees fall down .. some of them.. that new ones sprout all along the trunk .. i think redwoods do this ...

so why not other things in the plant world ...

good luck

ken

o

This is also known as espalier.

o

Yes - the propensity of horizontal stems to throw vertical shoots has been used for millenia to increase yields. It is an ancient fruit and vine growing technique. Google espalier, cordon, stepover and many other training systems.

It's also used in traditional hedge laying where the stems are not just bent over, they are cut half way through.
http://www.hedgelaying.org.uk/styles.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: Fruit Training Systems

o

Flora, love that link - great diagrams!

o

I've a cosmos, one of the thumb sized stems that might get to six feet, that fell over near a sprinkler. Every six inches or so it has put down roots and shot up stems that are now developing flowers.

o

Fascinating and cool example, Albert. Hope you get to see some of those flowers before old man winter sets his sights on that awesome plant.

o

Here's a Perilla (often mistaken for Coleus) stem that grew in the fashion being discussed here. The main stem was laid over sideways, and all of the side branches went into competition to be the new leader.

o

Here's the top of the same plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here