Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
clarification on umbrella plant propagation

Posted by vinyard (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 5, 10 at 20:09

so, am I hearing that most of the stem on the leaf is cut off and then the leaf is totally submerged in water upside down until the roots are formed...and then it is place in soil with the roots down?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: clarification on umbrella plant propagation

There are several things WRONG with your plan 1) roots exposed to the air will dry out & die 2) there is a "up: & a "down" to the stem & if the stem (cutting) is stuck "up-side down" then it will not root. 3) the foliage if placed in water will soon rot etc.....
Since there are at least 4 species that have members called "umbrella plant" I will asume you mean a Schefflera spp. then take a cutting remove all but 1 leaf & then cut that leaf in half... apply 0.1% IBA (rooting hormone ) stick in well drained soil & mist taking 20-50 days to root.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here