Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
peach with two much chill

Posted by john222-gg ms./8 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 11, 12 at 20:55

Hi all

I am an old man that knew nothing about Fruit trees.Thought it would be nice to have some fruit trees when I retired.So I went down to the co-op and bought fruit trees 6 years before I retired.Planted all and started learning.The co-op did not mention chill hours now my trees are about 5 or 6 years old the peaches seemed like they were struggling.When I started looking I found out they were trees with high chill requirement.I have Red haven,Bell of Georgia,and Hale haven.Where I live we only get between 4 & 6 hundred chill hours.Now the main question is can I graft low chill on high chill trees???? pleas help thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: peach with two much chill

there are many questions like this in the fruit forum ...

and those peeps are a closed group who do.. frankly.. weird things to fruit trees.. lol .. [what i mean.. is that i never see these experts in this or the tree forum]

you might want to ask this there...

i am going to bet.. the understock MIGHT be an issue .. but i am a tree guy.. not a fruit nut ... and i doubt you will be able to ID the understock ...

most of the peeps there.. mail order very specific cultivars.. just to avoid the issues you are having problems with ...

if you were to mail order GOOD STOCK.. you might have peaches in 2 or 3 years ... if you mess with grafting.. you might extend that 5 years.. only to find out.. you have rootstock issues ...

which is why i might suggest.. you suck it up.. and start over with some new trees .. and dont get me wrong ... play with these if you have the room.. but get some good ones.. so you can enjoy some fruit in this decade ...

ken

o

You have available in your county a university extension service, at least partly paid for with your taxes. Look in your phone book under county offices. They know what your growing conditions are and are eager to help you. Al

o

Thanks KEN and Calistoga

To start my county agents office is less than 1 mile from my house.Have been several times for different problems no help.After seeing what was said I think i am going to buy some new trees.Leave old trees get new trees to growing then try grafting.I apreshate the info.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here