Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flwrz

Phlox education needed

flwrz
17 years ago

I had lavendar-pink garden phlox in my border and enjoyed the drifts of color. Three years ago (not realizing the effects of cross-pollination), I made the mistake of planting a white phlox nearby, and the following year had lots more white phlox than pink. When I saw what was happening, I gave away the white phlox I had planted, but this year the remaining plants still had way more white blooms than pink ones. Is there anything I can do to restore the original color? If I have to replant, are there bright pink varieties that are more likely to remain true in color?

Susie

Comments (5)

• remy_gw
    17 years ago

Hi Susie,
    (Some of this you may already know, but I figure I should write it in case someone else doesn't know.)Your original plants did not change color. Phlox seems to be a very promiscuous plant and will often re-seed at higher rate then some other garden perennials. The babies are very often not the same as the parent. In this case your white one obviously had some strong genes and the babies were coming up white. Plus, your white phlox seems to be a more vigorous cultivar, so the original may have expanded quickly too.
    Keep removing the white seedlings when you see them. I don't have a cultivar suggestion for you. If it seems there just isn't enough pink phlox in your border, I would look for more phlox that matches the orginal color you had, next year, at local garden centers. If you find a few in big pots, divide them up before putting in the garden, then you know you'll get the look you want quicker.
    Remy

• ndstitch
    14 years ago

I would like to know how to propegate my lilac/pink phlox. I've had them for the longest time and they make a nice full mound, but I want some in other places too!

Also, if anyone knows, how can I "bring back" a bed of old, old, old fashioned Irises? I got them back in the 70's from a lady who was very old then and it was the same line that her grandmother had grown in the very same spot. (they sold to developer who built apartments and when she moved, she moved back to the "old homestead" land.) I let some mint get started very near to them, and it has choked the Irises out. I did divide them a couple of times, but the mint just choked out the new clumps before they got much of a start.
    Donna

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    14 years ago

I like to divide Phlox in the spring when grow starts. Just be sure each division has some of the crown. For your Iris pot up your divisions, the iris NOT the mint. After a year in the pot, during which the mint in the garden has been eliminated,(good luck on that)your iris roots will be developed enough to take some competition and can be replanted. Al

• ndstitch
    13 years ago

Is now too late to divide these?
    Thanks! Will put Irises in pots this season.
    Donna

• ensatagirl
    13 years ago

I have an abundance of phlox from propagation this spring. Starting in April, I took every phlox still in the pot and started taking cuttings. This consisted of snapping off the small shoots at the base and putting them in group containers of good soil in a shady place. Soon they rooted.
    I have already placed some in the garden and have more to place as soon as I weed well. ALSO phlox can be propagated from thin roots laid horizontally on good soil and a thin
    covering of soil. At this time I have one roasting pan full of baby phlox ready to be transplanted.

Aside from that, you can pull a phlox from its pot and see
    tiny phlox all over the root mass. Remove these and put in good potting soil (in a community pot with a name or color,)
    and you will soon have a pot full of individual phlox waiting to be transplanted. All of these are easy/peasy!!

s

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery